R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'd get a modular if my head wasn't a long oval. Only helmet that fits me right is the Arai Signet-X (full face).
It took me YEARS to figure out that the pressure on my forehead could be fixed by changing something other than helmet size (S/M/L) or the liner thickness.

Also something that you can buy separately is the Pro Shade which add an external, drop-down sun visor to an Arai helmet. Works really well for me and when in the upper position acts like a mini dual-sport peak. And it doesn't pick up wind gusts at all.

Arai states they won't make a helmet with an internal sunshade because it affects the structural integrity of the helmet too much.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I'd get a modular if my head wasn't a long oval. Only helmet that fits me right is the Arai Signet-X (full face).
It took me YEARS to figure out that the pressure on my forehead could be fixed by changing something other than helmet size (S/M/L) or the liner thickness.

Also something that you can buy separately is the Pro Shade which add an external, drop-down sun visor to an Arai helmet. Works really well for me and when in the upper position acts like a mini dual-sport peak. And it doesn't pick up wind gusts at all.

Arai states they won't make a helmet with an internal sunshade because it affects the structural integrity of the helmet too much.
That is interesting info....

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was given a Shubert C4 pro with a bike I bought in 2019. Wore it a few times. On cold days it was great. Anything wrmer than 60 deg F and I was sweltering. It also came with Schuberts blue tooth setup and speakers and I found them to be inferior to Sena. buttons were too similar and difficult to operate when riding. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Glad to hear your okay other than some road rash.

I'm replacing my 3 yr old Arai XD4 as I miss the ability to smoke, drink or eat without removing the helmet.

I looked at the BMW/Schuberts and elected instead to go with the Touratech Aventuro Traveller Carbon
Aventuro Traveller Carbon, Pacific | Touratech Canada

They are made by NEXX and similar to the Vilijord line but to Touratech specifications.

The BMW and Schuberts were heavier, and had their share of complaints such as the visor blowing off, 2 shell sizes, noisy, too hot, limited to their outdated bluetooth system, etc

I haven't been able to find a review for the Traveller, and being a new design I'm sure there will be issues. One thing that attracted me was the cut-out for mounting a bluetooth headset module. Supposedly it fits like an Arai, intermediate oval and they vents appear to be very large.

I'm expecting it in 5 days and will review it then.
brian

my review on another forum.
Aventuro Traveller Carbon, Compañero?????

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was knocked off my 2018 1200GSA a week ago last Sunday.

Woman just drive into the side of me at a roundabout. She didn't even look.

Anyhow... Bike is totalled. I am OK apart from bruising etc and friction burns through my clothing. I was wearing a Nolan modular helmet. I chose Nolan as in the British "Sharp" tests it was virtually the only one that stayed closed in all tests.

On impacting the road, my Nolan opened and my face was severely gravel rashed.

Nearly 2 weeks later my face has healed. It appears the friction sliding along the road wore the catch away.

My Ray Bans took a lot of the road slide impact and I am thankful for that.

Tried on a full face helmet today and I find it too claustrophobic... I come from a trail bike background riding in the 70s where I always wore a Bell Magnum open face.

Swore I would never go modular again, but now looking at BMW/Schubert modular.

Any thoughts from the assembled multitude would be greatly appreciated.
Snapper, so sorry to hear of your get-off, that is never okay, but we are pleased that you are still here to share your tales.

The Schuberth closure system is made of stainless steel bobbins and catches; that's as strong/durable as can be had. Mine stayed closed and remained properly operable after the accident, with zero damage to the closure system.

When I bought my lid, the Touratech was not an option, nor the Klim, but the Shoei was and it fit my oblong oval head like a 5-gallon bucket (round head plan). The Arai fits really well, but I wanted a modular somewhat more than a XD-4. I really liked the AGV weight and features, BUT the fit was seriously wrong and all of their paint jobs are far too flashy for my taste.

In fact, a few years back, I started paying attention to the various helmet paint jobs as I saw them coming down the road in order to understand which colors and/or patterns were most visible in my urban environment. No question about it, the solid hi-viz green is the choice for anyone who wants to be seen, day or night. The next best choice is solid white, followed closely by the light metallic silver -- these perform quite well at night. Surprisingly, the wildly and brightly colored, highly graphic helmets, like the AGV's, pretty much get lost in the visual clutter of the urban environment -- kind of like urban camo. In my opinion, it must be because the brightly colored bits are cut up and scattered and separated by enough blacks and rich blues with other bits of color splashed in that on the road it just doesn't make much impression. Sorry, I know people will disagree, but that was my observation -- the solid, bright colors presented a much larger visual target to lock onto. Of course black, and particularly matte black, are the most visually obscure choices; this is the proverbial fork in the road: some folks want a certain biker look, even if being seen is compromised, and that is NOT me. I do not want any excuses for why someone hit me, I want to be seen from a good mile away, and avoided like the plague LOL.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Snapper, so sorry to hear of your get-off, that is never okay, but we are pleased that you are still here to share your tales.

The Schuberth closure system is made of stainless steel bobbins and catches; that's as strong/durable as can be had. Mine stayed closed and remained properly operable after the accident, with zero damage to the closure system.

When I bought my lid, the Touratech was not an option, nor the Klim, but the Shoei was and it fit my oblong oval head like a 5-gallon bucket (round head plan). The Arai fits really well, but I wanted a modular somewhat more than a XD-4. I really liked the AGV weight and features, BUT the fit was seriously wrong and all of their paint jobs are far too flashy for my taste.

In fact, a few years back, I started paying attention to the various helmet paint jobs as I saw them coming down the road in order to understand which colors and/or patterns were most visible in my urban environment. No question about it, the solid hi-viz green is the choice for anyone who wants to be seen, day or night. The next best choice is solid white, followed closely by the light metallic silver -- these perform quite well at night. Surprisingly, the wildly and brightly colored, highly graphic helmets, like the AGV's, pretty much get lost in the visual clutter of the urban environment -- kind of like urban camo. In my opinion, it must be because the brightly colored bits are cut up and scattered and separated by enough blacks and rich blues with other bits of color splashed in that on the road it just doesn't make much impression. Sorry, I know people will disagree, but that was my observation -- the solid, bright colors presented a much larger visual target to lock onto. Of course black, and particularly matte black, are the most visually obscure choices; this is the proverbial fork in the road: some folks want a certain biker look, even if being seen is compromised, and that is NOT me. I do not want any excuses for why someone hit me, I want to be seen from a good mile away, and avoided like the plague LOL.
Yes I fully agree with you.....Hi-viz and white are the most visible!
The Shoei Neotec 1 and 2 also have the metal bobbins for the helmet to catch on

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dont overlook the Shoei Neotech II, 3 shell sizes, and like the Schuberth it has the option for integrated Comms by installing the Sena SRL

21 - 27 of 27 Posts