R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
BMW Padwan
33 Posts
Meh, I use Tyre for Travel. Unless you have a Mac, I’m not sure there’s a better product to use on your computer. My opinion of course.

·
Super Moderator
697 Posts
I wrestled Basecamp and finally surrendered to it several years ago and it's been working fine for me. I've got literally hundreds of GPX tracks recorded there and Basecamp will let me export them to use elsewhere. So, what's everyone else using to plan their adventures aside from basecamp? I'll need something that I can import, export, and edit track files as well as the traditional route creation and editing.

The Garmin Explore web page says you must own an Inreach, GPSMAP 66, or the Instinct watch. What's up with that?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wrestled Basecamp and finally surrendered to it several years ago and it's been working fine for me. I've got literally hundreds of GPX tracks recorded there and Basecamp will let me export them to use elsewhere. So, what's everyone else using to plan their adventures aside from basecamp? I'll need something that I can import, export, and edit track files as well as the traditional route creation and editing.

The Garmin Explore web page says you must own an Inreach, GPSMAP 66, or the Instinct watch. What's up with that?
Garmin effectively stopped BaseCamp development in 2016, with version 4.6.2 , leaving a few small but survivable bugs. Then in 2018 they released 4.6.3 , in which they broke all the external links, including Google Earth, as a quick and dirty way to comply with European privacy law. That was a sure sign of the end.

4.6.2 continues to work (ignoring the "upgrade" offers.) I suggest that users achive the installer for that version.

You can export the entire "my collection" as a single GPX file if you need to. To move data between BaseCamp installations, the Garmin Database .GDB format is more accurate.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sucks but in a way I'm glad. I've used it over the years, but it is definitely not intuitive or user friendly with a big learning curve. Just about all my GPS units whether for my mountain bike, hiking, ADV riding are all never "intuitive". It's what has always bugged me about Garmin.

Hoping whatever they come up with will be easier to use...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Transfer route Failure

Any help here is appreciated.
I recently downloaded a BDR route (MABDR) however when I attempt to transfer the route from my MAC to my Nav6 nothing comes over.
I have created route on basecamp in the past and have had no trpouble transferring to my nav6.
Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's funny - Basecamp has its diehard followers, so I'm glad it's doing/done something for them over its lifespan. It seems anyone who "disses" it is often subject to derision by the diehards but, for me, I found it frustrating to use, unituitive and short of essential features. In short It's rubbish in my opinion. Now I will have to find something else, and that's a good thing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Once you get the hang of BaseCamp it's a fairly powerful tool but it does take a learning curve.....BTW, It seems that Garmin still supports it - the latest MAC release is dated February 2020.

·
Super Awesom Person
560 Posts
I use the app built into the Nav6 unit itself. I can use the map to set way points, points of interest or address easily enough. Very little learning curve.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The built-in Nav6 app is good, but for planning longer and more elaborate trips with dozens of Via Points, the flexibility of using BaseCamp on a PC/ MAC with a larger screen, mouse, etc. has its advantages.

·
Registered
60 Posts
They updated it a few years ago to remove the sharing options, because they violate some EU restrictions (and who used the sharing options anyway?).

I talked to a Garmin rep at a MOA Rally a few years ago, and he said they'd be coming out with something else, maybe a browser-based program, but it sure doesn't seem like they're prioritizing that effort. I'm certainly not holding my breath waiting for the latest and greatest, I learned that lesson long ago. I've learned to work with Base Camp and although it has its limitations and it's dated, it's still quite powerful and does everything I need it to.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Latest Basecamp for Mac: 4.8.8 released 2/19/2020
Latest Basecamp for Windows: 4.7.2 released 6/11/2020

If you're so inclined.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts