R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so just had my Garmin replaced in December from Garmin Europe.
It worked well for 2 months....now suddenly it switches off and then restarts again. Anyone experience this?

·
Registered
211 Posts
In Europe, dealers have received instructions from Garmin (BMW) to replace every NAVIGATOR 6 again whenever it becomes faulty.
You should contact your dealer for another swap.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had an issue with mine. It suddenly had a glitch and would not respond to touch and screen was funky.
Garmin replaced it with NIB device without any hesitation. Very impressive.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I’ve used mine A LOT in the past few months and haven’t experienced any issues.

From reading these posts, I’m in the “waiting” mode...just standing by for problems and a replacement.

But so far, so good.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So far I am on my Second and has been working well. Wonder if the new Garmin XT will get an adaptor for the BMW Cradle.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Just sent my 3rd Nav VI off for replacement...isn't it about time to switch it for a Nav VII?

Customer service is great, but I've got a 6K mile trip coming up this summer. It would be nice to know the GPS is gonna work. At least I have a phone mount for backup.

·
Survivor
776 Posts
Does not look like there will be a NAV VII or any other BMW -Garmin cooperation. One must wonder how long Garmin will continue to replace faulty units or indeed, to continue to distribute faulty units. Best be prepared to add a separate GPS without Wonder Wheel compatibility.

·
Registered
2018 K1600GTL / 2020 R1250GS
11 Posts
Garmin replaced mine too - first one after 18 months. I've had my second one a week - keeping my fingers crossed/

·
Bobmanz
2018 R1200GSA & 2017 Ural Gear Up
16 Posts
Great, I just bought one in anticipation for picking up a 2018 R1200GSA this weekend in FL. Fingers crossed it's at least better than my previous Zumo 590.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ok so just had my Garmin replaced in December from Garmin Europe.
It worked well for 2 months....now suddenly it switches off and then restarts again. Anyone experience this?
Am on my 3rd replacement in 2 1/2 years. This time they sent me a bill for €450. My response was direct and to the point referring to sex and travel. They then waved the charge. usual problem. Screen started behaving erratically then stopped responding altogether. Couldn't even reset the dam thing, which kinda left me stranded. Anyway I've upgraded my phone and mount using it for primary Nav and the Nav 6 as a back up.

BMW and Garmin appear to complement/compete with each other in the doesn't work, don't fix it, don't listen to customer stakes. My K1600 spent 30% of its life in a workshop, 2 engines, 3 gearbox's and a replacement entire frame in the first 18 months and it's still not right. Ditto the Garmin.

And we paid HOW MUCH for the privilege. Problem is, what's the alternative......?

·
Super Moderator
923 Posts
Well now...after 5 years of working flawlessly, I've just returned from a long ride where my Nav 6 started going all wonky like the ghost was poking at it. Interestingly, it would work fine at the beginning of the day through about mid-afternoon and then start the ghosting antics. If I wiped off the display it would work well for a while but might or might not start doing it again.

I've gotten much more comfortable using my iPhone for guidance on both routes and tracks so it wasn't too much of an inconvenience but there are some things I use the Nav 6 for that nothing else will do - using the multi-controller wheel for zooming in and out on the go and looking for gas/food/lodging "on my route."

I guess I'll be giving Garmin tech support a call to see what they'll do but with all of you guys reporting that you're getting replacement units that work worse than mine, I'm concerned.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I hate hearing this because those of us who have the NAV VI know it’s not “if” but “when” it’s gonna die.

Dang....and I really like this unit, too...🤨

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine was fine for 2 years then started acting up last week. Called Garmin and was told to return for replacement. They received and have already shipped replacement. Hope they fixed the issue for the replacement so this doesn't happen again. I depend on it for some direction, but really like to glimpse at it in curvy roads I've not ridden so I know what is coming up, plus I use it for my Speedo as it reminds me how much I'm going over the posted speed limit.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
923 Posts
I got on a chat session with Garmin tech support and they set up a replacement for my unit. They sent me the pre-paid return UPS label and said that they would normally go ahead and send me a unit before receiving mine - but, they're out of them at the present and said they'd ship my replacement on 3/26/21.

This is a really expensive unit so it's reasonable to expect a lot from Garmin and a no-questions-asked easy replacement of a 5 year old unit is much appreciated. Every company stubs their toe from time to time but it's how they respond and own it that defines their customer service. Kudos to Garmin.

Reactions: Dan Diego

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
respond and own it that defines their customer service. Kudos to Garmin.
[/QUOTE]
Kudos to Garmin USA only...here in india its a one year warranty and Garmin Europe is 2 year.
After the 2 years pay GBP 142 for a replacement unit

1 - 20 of 40 Posts