R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Has anyone asked them to replace it with the XT? Only time I use the wheel is to zoom in and out but I can give that up pretty easy. I'll buy an XT but if they will "downgrade" me to it I can make mine go haywire again. Thing is 1/2 the price and probably 3 times better.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ok Virkdoc I am blaming you for jinxing my Nav VI. Mine just started the ghost touching, scrolling, and lock ups again! This is my 3rd one since Dec of 2017 and on its way back to Garmin. I will give Garmin credit though, no resistance just send it back for a new one. This was the first time they said they don't have any on hand but will ship one out in 1-2 weeks.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
shucks @60Aviator!!
So one thing is clear from all this that all units will fail eventually.....when they will fail is the question.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ok Virkdoc I am blaming you for jinxing my Nav VI. Mine just started the ghost touching, scrolling, and lock ups again! This is my 3rd one since Dec of 2017 and on its way back to Garmin. I will give Garmin credit though, no resistance just send it back for a new one. This was the first time they said they don't have any on hand but will ship one out in 1-2 weeks.
It’s hard to fathom why so many of these units are failing. I assume Garmin has these manufactured for them, in which case there are some QC problems. But I was wondering if Garmin “recycles” the faulty units, sending out returned units as replacements? Just a thought.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Has anyone asked them to replace it with the XT? Only time I use the wheel is to zoom in and out but I can give that up pretty easy. I'll buy an XT but if they will "downgrade" me to it I can make mine go haywire again. Thing is 1/2 the price and probably 3 times better.
I'll keep my slow, bleak, but reliable NAVIGATOR 5 on my 1200 GS in Belgium and install the new XT I bought with my own money, on my 1250 GS in France (as soon as traveling abroad is allowed again).
I entirely skipped the NAVIGATOR 6 phase that way, and apparently there is no need to regret this omission...

·
Registered
30 Posts
It’s hard to fathom why so many of these units are failing. I assume Garmin has these manufactured for them, in which case there are some QC problems. But I was wondering if Garmin “recycles” the faulty units, sending out returned units as replacements? Just a thought.
Precisely my thoughts. Why would any company and especially a large global one, keep shooting itself in the head sending out failed or failing units to its prime customers who have paid a premium for their services?

Garmin really need to step up and cure this issue which, simply has to be a design/QC problem. Moreover BMW are ultimately responsible. They are still selling machines that can ONLY use the Navigator on its pre-prepared Nav fittings, why. This is a well known issue yet they persist. Inept and incompetent doesn't really do this justice?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Some think that BMW don't bother about the units they already sold and are now targeting the new customers with their superwide TFT display (see the new R1250RT) which has the GPS connective firmware included.
However early testers complain about this TFT which sucks your mobile phone dry in a very
short time (big mobile phones cannot be charged wirelessly) and has but very sparse functionalities...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a used 2018 GS a couple of years ago. The NAV6 worked perfectly for the first year, but then failed in the usual manner. I emailed Garmin and they sent a replacement. The touchscreen on the replacement unit does not work as well as the original unit. It feels like they dialed back the sensitivity in an effort to prevent the ghost touches that appear when the unit fails.

If the replacement unit makes it though this riding season, I'm going to spend the money and send it off to a German company that supposedly makes the unit more robust.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought a used 2018 GS a couple of years ago. The NAV6 worked perfectly for the first year, but then failed in the usual manner. I emailed Garmin and they sent a replacement. The touchscreen on the replacement unit does not work as well as the original unit. It feels like they dialed back the sensitivity in an effort to prevent the ghost touches that appear when the unit fails.

If the replacement unit makes it though this riding season, I'm going to spend the money and send it off to a German company that supposedly makes the unit more robust.

Hi Rememo, can you share the contact details of the refurb company?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Strange : if the remedy to the lack of reliability of the NAVIGATOR VI is so easy, why wouldn't GARMIN apply it themselves and save a bunch of replacement costs and bad publicity ... ?
Are you sure this isn't a scam ???

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you search eBay in UK there is a guy selling refurbished NAV VI screen and instruction on how to replace it, he also mentioned the flaw of the OEM screen

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, had the ghost issues, called Garmin, they immediately agreed to swap out. Received return authorization, sent unit on March 10th. Looked at status today and they still haven't shipped new unit. Called and was told they are out of stock and their best guess is end of April. Geesh..... Mine was an intermittent issue that I could have dealt with if they would have told me the wait would have been long. I have a trip next week and have to rely only on phone. Sucks.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Welcome, as they say, to Garmin. For customer service and a tendency to dole out failed products, that they know are failed, Garmin and BMW are ideally matched. I now generally use my phone and Google Maps for Nav. The new phones, I have the Samsung s21 Ultra, are much brighter and though not crystal clear in bright sunlight they can, nevertheless, be read quite well. The best tip I ever had with Google Maps is to download the Maps, at least for the area you're going too. Then if you lose GSM coverage Nav continues pretty well as normal. I have certainly found it to be more than adequate. Anyway I'm as jealous as hel*. In Austria we are going into another total lockdown on Thursday, 24hrs a day for the foreseeable future. The EU states have no vaccines and are well into our 3rd wave of Covid, hospitals and intensive care units are full with Triage in operation. It really is tragic and sad, mostly caused by the EU Commission. So tongue in cheek and with a smiley wink....enjoy your trip :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update.

Received email today that they are willing to send me a refreshed version since my version is not available for the foreseeable future, which they indicate has changes to the coloring of menus and icons. I accepted and hope to have soon.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
923 Posts
They told me last week that they would get them in this week and be shipping mine this week. Hmmm, given what @rush2112_2112 just posted, maybe I'll give them another call.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Update.

Received email today that they are willing to send me a refreshed version since my version is not available for the foreseeable future, which they indicate has changes to the coloring of menus and icons. I accepted and hope to have soon.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk
What is the difference between the two?

21 - 40 of 40 Posts