R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2017 R1200GS Rallye
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,
I have a new-to-me very clean, low mileage 2017.5 GS that came with GPS prep, but no GPS unit. I would to get the Garmin Nav VI because of how it integrates with the wonder wheel and all that, but have read many posts about the unreliability of the unit. I have also read that Garmin does stand behind this product and that they have made changes that have fixed the glitches and bugs. In the past I have owned other Garmin products and they have all performed flawlessly and the BMW motorcycle itself is a wonder of technology and craftsmanship, so I find it hard to understand how the Nav VI can have so many problems. Does anybody out there have any good things to say about the supposedly new and improved Nav VI? I would like to make a decision about adding a GPS unit to my bike this winter so I will be ready for spring and would appreciate any thoughts on this issue.

Thanks much!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I will give Garmin credit, they honor the warranty, and it's five years from the date of first service on the device. That said, I'm on my third one and two years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Generally, the Nav VI is a good GSP, but the cold weather breaking the sensor wires in the display has been an ongoing issue. Got my latest (5th) Nav VI replacement after then last one failed for the ‘false touch’ issue again. Each ime it was done under warentee repair so no cost, just inconvenience having to go to the dealer and wait a month for the replacement.
This latest one is a little different so hopefully they have fixed the issue. I’m at the NE FL BMW Rally this weekend and the weather is expected to be below 40F tomorrow night so we shall see if the cold causes the problem again.
I’ll report back at the end of the rally on Sunday with the results.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The hardware of the Navigator 6 hasn’t changed since its predecessor , the Navigator 5 and it makes it an infuriatingly slow GPS.
Often I already went by a crossing or side road before it realises I should have changed direction and it takes ages before it has recalculated the route.
The advantage of the wonderwheel doesn’t make up for its fails in my view.
So I went for the much better GARMIN ZUMO XT .

·
Administrator
1,252 Posts
I've been perfectly happy with mine that I purchased new with my bike in the spring of 2016. Garmin replaced it last year no questions asked when it started ghosting and it's been perfectly fine every since.

I get it that it's really expensive and that phone based guidance has come a long way over the past several years but there are still some things about the Nav VI that make it worth the investment for me. The main thing is the multi-controller wheel integration for being able to quickly zoom in and out for different perspectives on the map without taking my hands off the bars. This is especially valuable when following tracks on an ADV ride through a maze of forest roads.

I also really like the ability to look for POIs on my current active route. A lot of times the closest gas station or sushi place is behind me but what I want to know is where will I encounter one on my current route. The Nav VI will easily do that.

The phone app on my iPhone is MapOut and does a great job of helping me navigate tracks over very detailed maps but I still won't leave home without my NAV VI if the ride is going to be headed farther from home after the first night on the road.

·
Administrator
1,252 Posts
Go for Zumo XT and you will forget everything else

I love my zumo XT that I have in a Touratech mount on my WR250R dual sport but to have the capability of using a GPS controlled by the wheel and not go that way would be a real shame.

scarab1987, this comment isn't directed at you but let me just say that if you haven't experienced the convenience of controlling the zoom level and pages on the GPS without removing your hands from the bars then you don't know what you're missing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I will give Garmin credit, they honor the warranty, and it's five years from the date of first service on the device. That said, I'm on my third one and two years.
Garmin stopped honouring mine. On on my third (I think) unit which now has the normal ghost-touch problem, and they say the warranty is only 2 years from the date of purchase of the first unit, that replacement units only have a 90 day warranty, and they will no longer replace it unless I pay £155. If I paid, they said they'd give me a refurb device with a 90 day warranty, so if it goes faulty on day 91 they'll demand another £155.

·
Registered
2017 R1200GS Rallye
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Folks,
Thanks for all your thoughts. This is a great place to learn what others have experienced and and it helps with the decision making process... except for the question about Garmin BMW GPS units vs anything else. It seems like people either have really good or really bad things to say about the unit itself and Garmin customer service. I have owned four Garmin GPS units for my cars and general outdoor navigation and have never had an issue with any of them. I have little experience with their customer service but they have been great in the few instances when I have had to contact them. Soooo, I am inclined to think I would be one of the lucky ones that has a Nav VI experience and am leaning in that direction, but it is still dead winter here and I have some time to make up my mind.

Again, thanks for all your thoughts!

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Folks,
Thanks for all your thoughts. This is a great place to learn what others have experienced and and it helps with the decision making process... except for the question about Garmin BMW GPS units vs anything else. It seems like people either have really good or really bad things to say about the unit itself and Garmin customer service. I have owned four Garmin GPS units for my cars and general outdoor navigation and have never had an issue with any of them. I have little experience with their customer service but they have been great in the few instances when I have had to contact them. Soooo, I am inclined to think I would be one of the lucky ones that has a Nav VI experience and am leaning in that direction, but it is still dead winter here and I have some time to make up my mind.

Again, thanks for all your thoughts!
You may want to check this link. It maybe a better way to go

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have the Nav VI and 6 months ago it started spontaneously zooming all the way in on unwanted POI's and flickering.

Now I have an as yet uninstalled WunderLINQ in the Hondo Garage inductive charge “Juiced Squeeze” mount. It takes full advantage of the WonderWheel

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had the NAV 5 on my 2020. Yes the wonder wheel is a convenient feature and I’ve had no issues with the unit, but IMO it is slow and the screen technology lags behind other alternatives. (Personally, I found the wonder wheel functions too distracting, but that’s more of a personal issue.)

I recently removed the OEM gps prep and mounted a ZXT. Screen is much easier to read and the unit is much faster than the NAV 5.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have no issues with mine, had it 2 years just follow the software updates and all is fine. Unfortunately cell phone coverage is patchy in Western Australia so gps is necessary . I also have a tomtom rider 550 for my K1300 which also works well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would go the connected cradle and pass on the GPS unless you are globe trotting or in areas with no reception.

That said - I had the GPS and it worked fine for me with no issues and it all integrates. I also have the connected helmet synced to the bike so I can play music in my helmet :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm on my 4th in 3 years. Garmin keeps replacing them though. They also keep telling me they have fixed the problem. Always have the ghost issue. Ride Safe!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Folks,
I have a new-to-me very clean, low mileage 2017.5 GS that came with GPS prep, but no GPS unit. I would to get the Garmin Nav VI because of how it integrates with the wonder wheel and all that, but have read many posts about the unreliability of the unit. I have also read that Garmin does stand behind this product and that they have made changes that have fixed the glitches and bugs. In the past I have owned other Garmin products and they have all performed flawlessly and the BMW motorcycle itself is a wonder of technology and craftsmanship, so I find it hard to understand how the Nav VI can have so many problems. Does anybody out there have any good things to say about the supposedly new and improved Nav VI? I would like to make a decision about adding a GPS unit to my bike this winter so I will be ready for spring and would appreciate any thoughts on this issue.

Thanks much!
THE PROVERBIAL IN THE WOOD PILE. My GARMIN NAVIGATOR 6 (REFRESH) is an utter piece of * ** ** JUNK. I bought a NAV 6 new with my K1600 GTL. By no means a cheap option. I think BMW/Garmin have the gall to charge something like €800 ++ for the so called ‘Refreshed’ piece of…..Çrap. Garmin have replaced my NAV 6, I think I’d be right in saying, including this one, 5 times. Delivering this latest IMPROVED ALL SINGING DANCING ‘REFRESHED’ GARBAGE last year when they were first distributed. Almost from the get go the thing started shutting down all of its own, but only 2-3 times so I sort of let it go. On this latest trip the thing started ‘Ghosting’ again. Just like the older versions this latest ‘Refresh’ was supposed to have fixed, but worse. Flashing various pages at random on the screen, even unilaterally changing destination, then giving erroneous directions as a result. Imagine, as happened to me, driving along at night on an unlit twisty motorway whilst the NAV 6 strobed pages at maximum brightness before your eyes giving turn left, turn right, make a U turn voice commands continuously, with nowhere safe to stop, remove the bleep, bleep thing from its mount and switch it off. Garmin are about to receive a fizzer post-haste.

·
Survivor
890 Posts
THE PROVERBIAL IN THE WOOD PILE. My GARMIN NAVIGATOR 6 (REFRESH) is an utter piece of * ** JUNK. I bought a NAV 6 new with my K1600 GTL. By no means a cheap option. I think BMW/Garmin have the gall to charge something like €800 ++ for the so called ‘Refreshed’ piece of…..Çrap. Garmin have replaced my NAV 6, I think I’d be right in saying, including this one, 5 times. Delivering this latest IMPROVED ALL SINGING DANCING ‘REFRESHED’ GARBAGE last year when they were first distributed. Almost from the get go the thing started shutting down all of its own, but only 2-3 times so I sort of let it go. On this latest trip the thing started ‘Ghosting’ again. Just like the older versions this latest ‘Refresh’ was supposed to have fixed, but worse. Flashing various pages at random on the screen, even unilaterally changing destination, then giving erroneous directions as a result. Imagine, as happened to me, driving along at night on an unlit twisty motorway whilst the NAV 6 strobed pages at maximum brightness before your eyes giving turn left, turn right, make a U turn voice commands continuously, with nowhere safe to stop, remove the bleep, bleep thing from its mount and switch it off. Garmin are about to receive a fizzer post-haste.
So, it sounds like you are on the fence and have an open mind when it comes to the performance of the NAV VI. :unsure:…..;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts