R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at the Garmin Zumo XT as a possible GPS for a 2020 GS. Does anyone have experience wiring and mounting this unit?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes - I have fitted a Zumu XT to one of my bikes (not a BMW though). It is really easy apart from the usual problem of routing the wiring from the handlebars to either the battery or a fuseblock device (which I have). I have been very impressed with the readability of the unit and can definitely recommend it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I did a search for info on mounting the Zumo, there are several discussions on how to adapt the Zumo onto the BMW provided mount for the Nav VI. It looks like the Zumo XT comes with a motorcycle mount. Why not simply use the provided mount and remove the BMW mount?

·
2018 R1200GSA
63 Posts
I have fitted a XT to my R1200. I took off the Nav VI and mounted on the support rail. Bought the beemer electrical connection and it works great. The XT is much better than the Nav Vi.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The main disadvantage of the XT is that it cannot be manipulated with the scroller wheel on the left hand grip.
On the other hand I've noticed that since my R1250GS is equiped with a TFT screem, which is also manipulated by the same scroller wheel, I am much less inclined to use it for the GPS.
In other words, I wouldn't be missing the functionality of the NAVIGATOR/scroller too much, once I'd purchased the XT, I guess.
Moreover the NAVIGATOR is REALLY, REALLY sloooooooooooooooooowwww .

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have fitted a XT to my R1200. I took off the Nav VI and mounted on the support rail. Bought the beemer electrical connection and it works great. The XT is much better than the Nav Vi.
Thanks. Is the beemer electircal connection sold through Garmin?

Touratech sells a lockable mount for the XT Touratech Locking GPS Mount for Garmin Zumo XT Pricey but their tech person told me I can remove the BMW mount for the Nav and bolt on the locking mount for the XT, the XT mount will fit into the locking mount and the XT will be mounted in the same place as the Nav VI. Sounds pretty easy. I'm headed towards the Zumo XT.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks. Is the beemer electircal connection sold through Garmin?

Touratech sells a lockable mount for the XT Touratech Locking GPS Mount for Garmin Zumo XT Pricey but their tech person told me I can remove the BMW mount for the Nav and bolt on the locking mount for the XT, the XT mount will fit into the locking mount and the XT will be mounted in the same place as the Nav VI. Sounds pretty easy. I'm headed towards the Zumo XT.
I have the Touratech Locking Mount also - I would recommend that also albeit a tad on the pricey side. Sometimes you just have to pay the $$$$$ in order to get the good stuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, just received Zumo XT and trying to wire in similar to above. I am aware of BMW's and Touratech's 3-pin adapter but I also want to keep the Nav so i can see the data screen (not for GPS). And i don't want to wire the Zumo all the way back to the battery and have it always powered on. Has anyone tapped-in their Zumo XT into other switched wires. I was thinking of tapping the Zumo into the wires for the horn. Thoughts?

With the Zumo XT is has a box in the wiring that converts 12 volts to 5 volts and 1.5 amps. Does this box have anything to do with the CANBUS system; that is, does this make it safe to wire into something like the horn?

Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have mine wired directly to the battery and turn it and off by hand. I think of you splice it into your horn power you may get an error message from the Canbus system.

Hello, just received Zumo XT and trying to wire in similar to above. I am aware of BMW's and Touratech's 3-pin adapter but I also want to keep the Nav so i can see the data screen (not for GPS). And i don't want to wire the Zumo all the way back to the battery and have it always powered on. Has anyone tapped-in their Zumo XT into other switched wires. I was thinking of tapping the Zumo into the wires for the horn. Thoughts?

With the Zumo XT is has a box in the wiring that converts 12 volts to 5 volts and 1.5 amps. Does this box have anything to do with the CANBUS system; that is, does this make it safe to wire into something like the horn?

Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts