R1200GS Forum banner

Gas cap woe’s

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  kpax 
#1 ·
I was filling up my bike the other day and in Calif. we have vapor return gas pumps. The nozzle does not fit in the keyless gas tank opening very well. When I pulled the pump handle out it broke off part of the keyless tank mechanism. I got my tank to lock and open.
But ouch it’s a $600 fix and I still have to deal with the California gas pumps. Anybody else have this problem?

#3 ·
I pull it back and use the open gas cap to hold it back. On my 1600GT I removed the pin so the gas cap came off when I opened it. It still lockes and worked perfictly I was just able to remove the cap at every fillup. I may do the same to my GS.. If your going to fix it anyway it might be something to think about. My 5 min, $0 Solution for the "California" friendly gas cap

#4 ·
I carry one of these on the bike so when I'm in a state that has those pumps, I don't have any problems.

Hasn't failed me yet in the 10 years and several bike I've had it.

#5 ·
There's a mod to the cap that will allow it to open a bit wider. If you look closely at it, there's a stop on the cap that comes in contact with a part of the rim. I used a Dremel tool to very carefully remove a bit of material from the cap stop to allow it to open wide enough to no longer be a problem. Just be careful that you don't remove so much that when the cap is open that it's resting against your tank. That would eventually leave a mark there.

I'm out of town right now but when I get home, I'll look through my photos to see if I can find my example of how I did this.

Reactions: Slow24
#6 ·
My problem with the keyless cap is that the locking pin is sticking and won't allow it to open. I end up whacking it a few times with my hand and pushing down hard on it as I pull up the lever and I still have to fuss with it to get it open.

#8 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.