R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a brief introduction from a new member. Not new to the GSA, I had one back in 2006 and recently got my hands on an extremely clean 2011 example which has become my daily ride, relegating my Africa Twin to the back of the garage - sorry Honda!

I didn't think that I'd ever go back to riding a big adventure bike, particularly as I'm now 60, but whilst I'd never claim that the Bavarian bruiser was a light weight, I don't find it to unmanageable in traffic. It's just so well balanced. And on the open road, my god its comfortable (even with the low seat)!

I recently sat on a factory low suspension 1250GSA and I couldn't believe how different it felt to my stock height 1200, almost as if BMW had somehow stripped away 100kg's from the weight. If my Africa Twin sells I can see myself risking a divorce and ordering one. But until then, I'll just keep enjoying the 1200 and our unseasonably warm and dry weather.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Sundodger. I'm a new member and while scanning through posts I saw you were from Adelaide. I live in the Barossa! I've been riding a 2010 GS 1200 for a few years now and I think its a fantastic bike. It has no electronics of any kind, and with knobby tyres its a hoot off road. I very much like the fact that there are no electronics to interfere when the going gets tough. I've been thinkin about purchasing a GSA for a long time and finally made the plunge a few weeks ago so now also have a 2020 1250 GSA. This bike literally has everything. Its a brillinat piece of engineering and great to ride but I'm sad to say I'm having a fair bit of trouble managing the electronics and associated menus. My excuse is I'm 63 and this sort of stuff just seems to get harder as you get older. In places where the manual discusses using the menu's to operate the ABS & ASC/TDC it may as well be in German for all the good it does me. So I'm really having difficulty setting up the bike. I'm hoping theres someone here in this forum that can help me deciper some of this stuff. On the issues of the low suspension GSA my advice would be don't do it. The loss of ground clearance is quite limiting when riding off road and when cornering. There are other ways of managing the weight and seat height that work just fine when you get used to them. :)Cheers

·
Registered
772 Posts
Welcome Sundodger.
Hope all is good down under.
Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi Sundodger. I would consider what Kimbo said about low suspension. I suggest that you look into a lower seat while keeping full travel suspension. Several aftermarket as well as OEM options are available. Just do a forum search.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts