R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Supporting vendor
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

If you are looking for a comfortable and stylish-looking helmet for nice and easy cruising on your BMW R1200GS, consider trying a Shark Drak open face helmet. Introducing a line of updated versions for the lineup consisting of Street-Drak, X-Drak, and S-Drak. They come with integrated sun visors and thermoplastic chin bars that can shield your face from bugs and rain but offer no protection in case of a crash, so riding a sportbike while wearing this type of helmet is not a good idea.

On the other hand, an open face helmet offers a wide field of view and great ventilation, which is great for summer rides. You can choose from a variety of styles, colors, and materials. Drak helmets come with thermoplastic, fiberglass and carbon fiber shells. All models are Bluetooth compatible and feature removable and washable liners.

Street-Drak Street Neon Matte Open Face Helmet by Shark at MOTORCYCLEiD.com

Specifications:
Material: Thermoplastic
Helmet Shape: Round Oval
Bluetooth Compatible
Integrated Sun Visor
Helmet Certification: DOT Approved
Features:
Street Fighter inspired
Slim-fit shell specially designed to match the skull shape as closely as possible
Lightweight, balanced, aerodynamic design
Micro-tech interior with antibacterial properties under AEGIS® license
Ultra Thin Frame and Full Vision Goggles with a double anti-fog visor
Face mask and goggles Quick Release System

X-Drak Terrence Open Face Helmet by Shark at MOTORCYCLEiD.com

Specifications:
Material: Fiberglass
Bluetooth Compatible
Integrated Sun Visor
Peak Visor
Features:
Neo-Retro Look
Slim-fit outer shell for a lower helmet profile
Removable face mask and visor included
Removable peak using snaps
Large adjustable ventilation system on the top with sliders adjusted airflow system
Compatible with eye-ware

S-Drak Carbon Skin Open Face Helmet by Shark at MOTORCYCLEiD.com

Specifications:
Material: Carbon Fiber
Bluetooth Compatible
Integrated Sun Visor
Peak Visor Compatible
Features:
Slim-fit outer shell for a lower helmet profile
Snaps for optional peak
Premium finish
Gunmetal finish on the mask and side panels
Perforated leather-like neck pad
High-end suede interior
Compatible with eye-ware

All the helmets listed above are available in different colors and finishes featuring a variety of graphics. Click on the image to enter the product page for more information.
Browse the full catalog of Shark products at MOTORCYCLEiD.com, including helmet accessories, such as inserts and liners, cheek pads, replacement sun visors and peaks, Bluetooth communication systems, helmet care products, and other products by clicking the button below:

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me here or call our support team at 888.903.4344​

·
Supporting vendor
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand a company needs to advertise but suggesting an open face helmet is just fine is just wrong.
It's not for spirited riding, for sure. Especially in winter. But when it's hot, some may like it for comfort and looks as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I understand a company needs to advertise but suggesting an open face helmet is just fine is just wrong.
Totally agree. Face planting isn't always about how fast you're riding. Face plant on the asphalt sitting still and you're still getting messed up with an open face helmet.

·
Registered
363 Posts
For the last 6+ months, I've been using my 3/4 helmet, instead of my full face modular. I love the modular as I can lift the chinbar up when I need more visual space, like fueling up etc.

Said that, even though I lost the chin/face protection with the 3/4 helmet, I've added so much more visual space. I can see so much more. I'm not looking thru a portal window. There is something to be said about that...

Kam

·
Supporting vendor
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the last 6+ months, I've been using my 3/4 helmet, instead of my full face modular. I love the modular as I can lift the chinbar up when I need more visual space, like fueling up etc.

Said that, even though I lost the chin/face protection with the 3/4 helmet, I've added so much more visual space. I can see so much more. I'm not looking thru a portal window. There is something to be said about that...

Kam
Good point! It depends on riding conditions of course, but I think in city traffic situations, you are safer when you see more and can react in time to avoid an accident, rather than hope that riding gear will protect you and then face the consequences.

For those who like full face helmets, we have them on sale right now:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts