R1200GS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2005 R1200GS
43 Posts
I'm sure a lot of us have several pairs of gloves and use them according to weather and where they are riding at that particular time. I say go to a good shop and try on a few and see what suits your needs and budget. And when it's cold crank up the grip heaters!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Getting back into riding after a few years. I picked up a new to me 2007 R1200GS. I’m using some gloves I use for skiing and can use some ideas for winter and summer gloves that offer protection for my hands in case I go down. Thanks everyone.
BMW Summer gloves. They come in light grey or black leather. There's soft and they don't turn your hands colors if they get wet. They absorb sweat and have good ventilation. GREAT summer gloves. I like the grey ones. They reflect the sun really well and stay cool. On a long, hot ride, they are the best...I think they're a bit over a hundie for a pair. I have a pair of black and a pair of grey. Grey for hot summer months. Spring and Fall, black. With heated grips, you don't need more until it's really cold...Then I have two pair of old Olympia winter gloves...also very soft leather and very warm. A ring of us have them...the most comfortable winter gloves ever. I have heated gloves and jacket/liner too but seldom ride when it's that cold any more.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Have used Alpinestars SP1/ SP2 for regular most of the year riding, for rain use the Rukka virium, have also recently tried on the Joe Rocket Burner gloves...heated and waterproof!
I saw an online alert that Alpinestars GP Plus was recalled due to high levels of Chromium IV in the leather. Chromium is highly carcinogenic. I threw mine away since the serial code was close to the recall.

The commercial tanning leather process deals with some pretty caustic chemicals.

·
Registered
2017 White GSA
1,604 Posts
I saw an online alert that Alpinestars GP Plus was recalled due to high levels of Chromium IV in the leather. Chromium is highly carcinogenic. I threw mine away since the serial code was close to the recall.

The commercial tanning leather process deals with some pretty caustic chemicals.
Holy crap!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Held (manufacturer) Steve's (the name of the gloves). Kangaroo leather, treated for water (not waterproof, not a rain glove per se, but will hold up to the quick shower that can occur). Has a wiper on one finger. Holds up long time. I've been using them for almost 20 years now. This last pair lasted me 10 years but are about to get replaced. You can just tell when glove leather has had all it's sweat absorbsion cycles run. :) I use Aerostitch rain mitts (over the Held) when it's really raining.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I ride the BMW RR gloves exclusively. A bit pricy they are great protection and don't get too warm even in the Florida summer heat. Even in winter they are good down to about 40 degrees. I really love the pinky and ring fingers are linked, so in a crash these is much less risk to the pinky getting pulled sideways but more than enough range of motion that you never notice the leather strapping the two fingers.

For very cold days I'll wear a pair of Nomex flight gloves as a underlayer and turn the grip heat on low. I avoid riding if it's 34 or colder due to the potential for road ice, people love to water lawns overnight in Florida year round and don't think about the freeze factor for the overspray on the road.

·
Registered
1998 Valkyrie, 2021 Ninja 1000SX, 2005 R1200GS
36 Posts
one thing to consider about gloves is their performance over time. i see some guys saying how long a glove has lasted but it's important to note that a two year old glove has about 50% of the abrasion resistance than when new. gloves should be replaced every 10-12k miles or 3 years, whichever occurs first (if being worn for safety).

i like my gloves made with some strong leather (not lamb or deer), reinforcement on the sliding zones, and knuckle armor.

·
Registered
148 Posts
one thing to consider about gloves is their performance over time. i see some guys saying how long a glove has lasted but it's important to note that a two year old glove has about 50% of the abrasion resistance than when new. gloves should be replaced every 10-12k miles or 3 years, whichever occurs first (if being worn for safety).

i like my gloves made with some strong leather (not lamb or deer), reinforcement on the sliding zones, and knuckle armor.
After reading your post, I just took a look at my BMW RR gloves that I bought in 18 (30K miles or so). Not sure what leather they are made out of but I can't see any real wear marks. They do have one slightly yellow discoloured area that I can't figure out on the white leather but structurally they appear to be very good. Just for comparison, my fire brigade bunker kit gloves are kangaroo leather and after 7 years, many fires, auto crashes, and training events (and many washes), are still in very good condition. As a former safety Chief, I'll be the first one to change out any gear that I think is not going to protect me regardless of what the logistics Chief thinks I'm costing him.

·
Registered
1998 Valkyrie, 2021 Ninja 1000SX, 2005 R1200GS
36 Posts
I can't see any real wear marks.
are they more supple than new? i'd be willing to bet the leather isn't as thick as when new. the seam strength is probably significantly lower as well. yes, they'll protect you better than nothing at all but they won't afford the protection of when new. of course, i have a pair of gloves that have 3 leather layers on the impact area of the palm. that'll sure protect better 5 years old than a single layer glove new. i've checked bend radius and thickness on gloves when new and after each year. the bend radius changes significantly after 1 year and the thickness change is significant after 2. i haven't tried to correlate those numbers with destructive testing but they are indicators of protection level.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I took a look at a new pair of RR gloves while at the dealer this weekend and compared mine to them. No noticeable difference in fit or finish, just a bit of the not broken in stiffness that was gone in the first couple rides. I'll say that the RR's are holding up remarkably well and have no doubt they are still at least 80-90% effective protection against a new pair.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Getting back into riding after a few years. I picked up a new to me 2007 R1200GS. I’m using some gloves I use for skiing and can use some ideas for winter and summer gloves that offer protection for my hands in case I go down. Thanks everyone.
Revit Sand 3. I have had these gloves for 5 years and they are still in great shape. I have gone down on dirt a few times and have not had any issues or with stitching etc. they fit well and have protection for your hand bones in all the right places. I believe they have Revit Sand 4 now, don’t know the difference. ThRevit Sand 3 work great for me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Fan of HELD and Revit. I crash tested a pair of HELD back in 2013 / fanboy since.. and have a pair of revit short cuffs since 2010 and a 5 year old pair of long GTX gloves for the colder months.... both brands are comfy, the kangaroo palm on the HELD gives so much tactile feel as if you are not wearing gloves

·
Registered
35 Posts
Held Steve Classic were my go-to glove for 17 years in all. I replaced the Steve Classic this past summer with the ‘new’ Held Steve Glove (uses SuperFabric in the palm, rather than metal rivets). Still the best gauntlet glove I’ve worn on 41 years of riding. For hot (as in Texas hot) weather I wear Held Sambia. They have lasted eight years now.

Reactions: lenny1672007
21 - 40 of 40 Posts