R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks!

I would like to save POI´s and routes at Google Maps and transfer it to Zumo 390LM.

Can you tell me how can I do that or maybe point a good tutorial on the web?

Thanks!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did some *extensive* research and...

1) Google Maps had a "send to" feature that allowed sending POIs directly to devices including Garmin GPS. That feature was removed sometime ago. Nobody knows exactly why and people are sort of mad at Google for doing this.

2) One can use Google Maps to save routes and POIs, export the *.kml (or *.kmz) files to computer, import the files to a free Garmin app called Base Camp and then export the POIs to a Garmin GPS. Base Camp is not a really intuitive app to use and has many other feature that might confuse the user.

3) Map Quest HAS this *send to gps* feature and it is working at present time!!! MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

Users will probably have to download or update a couple of applications and plugins in order to make it work. In my case I did download Garmin Express (transfer and updates the GPS firmware) and Garmin´s Communicator Plugin to enable comunication between the web browser and the GPS.

If anyone else knows something different, please share!

·
GS Traveler
18 Posts
I read somewhere a while back where I believe someone said it is possible to convert google map routes to a .gpx file for use by a Garmin GPS, but I can't find it right now.

I have used Mapquest to send routes to a 665 and it works fine. Have you tried Basecamp? Coming from Mapsource I really didn't like it at first, but now that I am more accustomed to it I actually like it. It's free too.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had developed a fairly simple workflow for sending POIs to Zumo 390:

- Finding, saving and copying GPS coordinates using Google Maps.

- Pasting the coordinates in Map Quest (using Mozila Firefox as a browser)

- Unsing Garmin Communicator plug in to "sendo to GPS" from Map Quest.

It did work fine until a couple months ago. But this "send to" feature is gone from Map Quest, even with the plug in from Garmin installed.

They say it is due to the migration to a new HTML standard. Web browsing is now using new protocols and those features will no longer be compatible with old starndars.

Now I am searching for GPS coordinates with Google Maps and exporting to the device using Base Camp. However this app is not even close to what one should expect from a good workflow in a practical point of view.

Any ideas to improve this?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Folks!

I would like to save POI´s and routes at Google Maps and transfer it to Zumo 390LM.

Can you tell me how can I do that or maybe point a good tutorial on the web?

Thanks!
Not very easy.

The best option for routes is to use TyreToTravel -.

Go to Tyre, prepare your trip, setup your routes and use Tyre to transfer the route to the GPS.

Optional step
- Tyre uses Google Maps as its foundation. These maps are not exactly the SAME maps as the ones used by Garmin. Therefore there is the possibility that the route you developed with Tyre will be slightly(!) different in Garmin.

If you want the route to be EXACTLY what you designed, every left and right turn, then the next optional step is recommended.

- Prepare your route using Tyre but DON'T send the route to the GPS.
- Save the route as a GARMIN file on your computer.
- Exit Tyre and start Garmin's BaseCamp
- Load your route into BaseCamp.
- Check if the route if perfect. You can do that easily because the Garmin File will have both the route and the track information. You will see both in BaseCamp. And they should match. If they don't you will need to make small adjustments.
- After your adjustments....
- Export the file to your computer harddisk and load it into Garmin or
- If your GPS supports that, transfer the route directly from BaseCamp to your GPS.

That is the method I use and works perfectly.

So,

(1) Tyre to design routes
(2) Basecamp to check "integrity" of routes and store them for future use.

- So why not use Basecamp to prepare your routes and avoid Tyre?
Because Tyre is easier (much easier) to use. You can work faster if you use Tyre for the design portion of your workflow.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
HOW TO CREATE A GPX FILE USING GOOGLE MAPS, MAPS TO GPX, BASE CAMP
1. Create route in Google maps, copy URL
2. Use “maps to gpx program” Maps to GPX Converter this will go very fast. It creates a GPX file that is on your computer in the downloads directory. I created icon for this tool.
3. Using Garmins BaseCamp import your GPX file into “New Folder” ~ rename it and drop it down into My Collection
4. Double click on file
5. A window on the left hand column will list your waypoints. Double click on the two little blue footprints
6. Bottom right hand corner click on Create Route (will go fast)
7. “X” out of screen
8. There should be a little red motorcycle where your waypoints were. That is your GPX file. Highlight this file and drag it to your device “internal storage” folder.
9. Unplug Zumo from computer.
10. Go into your trips, import your file

1 - 6 of 6 Posts