R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm getting my new 2018 GSA ready for it's first road trip next month. I went to REVER.com and planned out all of the routes. For those who aren't familiar with REVER, it is an excellent route planner which overlays all of the wonderful Butler mapped roads making it quick and easy to plan out your trips. REVER allows you to download the GPX files (the route files) to an GPS unit. Unfortunately, these files will not download to the WAZE program on my phone or Google maps. So I am contemplating purchasing the BMW Nav 5 or 6 but I'm really struggling shelling out that kind of money for that thing! Is anyone using any other GPS options that they are happy with?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm getting my new 2018 GSA ready for it's first road trip next month. I went to REVER.com and planned out all of the routes. For those who aren't familiar with REVER, it is an excellent route planner which overlays all of the wonderful Butler mapped roads making it quick and easy to plan out your trips. REVER allows you to download the GPX files (the route files) to an GPS unit. Unfortunately, these files will not download to the WAZE program on my phone or Google maps. So I am contemplating purchasing the BMW Nav 5 or 6 but I'm really struggling shelling out that kind of money for that thing! Is anyone using any other GPS options that they are happy with?
I guess it depends on budget. I use sygic on my phone, which can comfortably use programmed itineraries. I keep waze running in the foreground for speed traps etc.
The alternative is a GPS unit. As far as I know, there are two main schools (Where I'm from anyway) : tomtom, or Garmin (which is what the NAVs are - just customized for bmw). Both have their + and - really, comes down to personal preference !

·
Survivor
681 Posts
I went to river.com and it says the domain name is for sale. There are some music related links but I saw nothing about route planning. :crying:

The Garmin 660 will fit the NAV cradle and I believe the 665 will as well. You will not have the use of the multi-function (wonder) wheel with the 660, nor will the GPS display motorcycle data as the NAV V and VI do.

·
Registered
171 Posts
https://rever.co/

The garmin 660/665 is similar to the NAV units. "Happy" is a fleeting emotion and rarely applied to a GPS device.
Agreed. "Least *issed off" is probably a better term with a GPS.
I'd give sygic a go before spending hundreds, but that's just me. The bonus is having a GPS visible and keeping a speed trap device (waze) at the same time, two screens. Also, phone GPS tend to be a little flimsy at times, depending on brand and model the chips are not always great.
But with a good phone, sygic does the trick for occasional use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts