R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the last 3 or 4 rides have been in high 40's to low 50's as far as temps. I don't think its to cold for the GPS?
The NAV VI acts like its possessed. It will not stay on one page even after I move it to that page. The arrow in the lower left highlights and then the screen go to the "Where do you want to go" page. After a while it would stay on the "My Motorcycle page" for a few minutes, then the arrow in lower left would highlight and back to to the "Where do you want to go" page.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Do a search as this is covered pretty well on other threads. Contact Garmin.

·
Super Moderator
791 Posts
I saw the title and thought, who wants directions from Gremlins?

I've heard of this issue on other threads too, not uncommon.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep.
Did a more thorough search and after scrolling about 20 pages found an exact replica. Calling Garmin tomorrow.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can only say good things about the Garmin crew.
Have to agree with you scurry.
Was dreading the call.
Figured it would be an all day process.
Rep called me back in 7minutes and was 100% helpful and a professional.
Highly recommended.

·
Enthusiast
82 Posts
Agreed that the Garmin support team has been very easy to deal with on this. That's the ONLY good news on this whole sorry situation. I'm on my 3rd NAV6 now - first two with this same problem. I got about 12 months each on the first two. What's sad is it seems that there's been apparently no move by Garmin - or whoever manufactures it for them (in Taiwan I believe) - to actually fix this . At some point, they are going to run out of a stock of spares - new or refurb. For a GPS unit that BMW charged $1K for, this has been a real disaster.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agreed that the Garmin support team has been very easy to deal with on this. That's the ONLY good news on this whole sorry situation. I'm on my 3rd NAV6 now - first two with this same problem. I got about 12 months each on the first two. What's sad is it seems that there's been apparently no move by Garmin - or whoever manufactures it for them (in Taiwan I believe) - to actually fix this . At some point, they are going to run out of a stock of spares - new or refurb. For a GPS unit that BMW charged $1K for, this has been a real disaster.
Rep today told me they are currently out of stock with replacements. Wont see mine shipped until mid January. You would think they would have someone trying to fix this issue.
I wonder if we will see another bolt on NAV unit like the NAV VI? Have to think future NAV units will be integrated into TFT's.

·
Registered
20 Posts
As silly as it sounds, when I had this problem with my Nav 6, I cleaned the screen with ammonia based window cleaner and it went away. I haven’t had any problems since.

·
Super Moderator
846 Posts
After spending a week riding in sub-freezing temps I can report that mine had no problems. If it's randomly switching screens on you it most likely thinks it's getting inputs from the CANBUS to do that. I guess that could be a problem internal to the GPS but if it's still doing it after you try a replacement unit the CANBUS contacts on your cradle would be the next place I'd look.

Reactions: Ryno23

·
Registered
912 Posts
After spending a week riding in sub-freezing temps I can report that mine had no problems. If it's randomly switching screens on you it most likely thinks it's getting inputs from the CANBUS to do that. I guess that could be a problem internal to the GPS but if it's still doing it after you try a replacement unit the CANBUS contacts on your cradle would be the next place I'd look.
Went through all this then finally ordered the replacements. 3 units failed on 3 bikes at almost exactly the same time when the weather got cold in India. Mine was about 2 years old and others around the same time frame. We cleaned the contacts, checked wiring did everything what other forums and posts had advised but nothing worked.....sometimes after cleaning it would be ok for a few days and then again back to doing the weird ghost thing.
Also if it was just the contacts I dont think Garmin would change out the units so easily.....

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As silly as it sounds, when I had this problem with my Nav 6, I cleaned the screen with ammonia based window cleaner and it went away. I haven’t had any problems since.
I did try this and no luck.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I sent mine in last week. The Garmin rep said there was a known issue with a batch of screens from a particular supplier. He said they would replace my screen, which is, of course, different from replacing the entire unit. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to get the unit back. There is a 5-year warranty. The Nav VI units are really nice when they work--how did we ever get along without them??

PS: I tried 1) Cleaning the screen with anti-static cleaner, 2) about 50 hard resets, and 3) attempts to calibrate the screen (failed, screen went blank during process.) Nothing worked for long. As an alternative, I was thinking about that cell-phone holder that interfaces with the Wunderwheel but hopefully with a repaired Nav VI I won't have to resort to that. On my next bike, I probably will try to avoid buying the BMW GPS. I think something like Android-Auto or Apple CarPlay makes more sense than a dedicated GPS, and I like the cellphone idea since cell phones are far more capable than a "mere" GPS, one has to sync them anyhow to your communicator, are regularly updated over-the-air, and are an already-owned item.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Mine acted up the other day in the cold. I peeled off the screen protector that's been on it for a year and it went back to normal. This is my second one but it has been trouble free all summer. I did bring it in the house but not holding my breath it will continue to work right.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Mine acted up the other day in the cold. I peeled off the screen protector that's been on it for a year and it went back to normal. This is my second one but it has been trouble free all summer. I did bring it in the house but not holding my breath it will continue to work right.
It will eventually fail.....get it replaced

1 - 20 of 40 Posts