R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Enthusiast
82 Posts
After spending a week riding in sub-freezing temps I can report that mine had no problems. If it's randomly switching screens on you it most likely thinks it's getting inputs from the CANBUS to do that. I guess that could be a problem internal to the GPS but if it's still doing it after you try a replacement unit the CANBUS contacts on your cradle would be the next place I'd look.
I don't think so. It's a problem with the display which thinks it's getting touch inputs. Mine would not work off cradle either. Likely a bad part that fails frequently (vibration sensitive?) but could also be a poor hardware design which may be why Garmin has not fixed this. (Did I hear BMW is not going with Garmin GPS in future?)

Cleaning the display helps and works for a while but if you're seeing "ghost inputs" now, it is only a matter of time ...

·
Super Moderator
823 Posts
I've had 3 different BMW Nav units (4, 5, and 6) and put them all through hell and back from 100F in the Nevada desert to 20F in the Yukon; dry desert conditions to crazy humid S. Georgia; on my WR2540R beating the crap out of the bike on rock garden trails to multi-week trips on the road. I even dropped my Nav VI out of the cradle once at about 30 mph and sent it bouncing down the road (nothing but a few scuffs on it). I'm starting to feel really lucky that I haven't seen any of these problems with any of my units (had my Nav VI the longest of them) and I'm glad to hear that Garmin will stand behind it if/when it has a problem.

The input I gave on the contacts was based upon my experience with putting my Nav VI on my WR250R in a cradle that left the serial bus pins floating. Easy to solve that problem but I understand that some of you have experienced something entirely different.

·
Registered
905 Posts
So by experience Garmin USA is the best....for us in India we had the option to buy from the US or UK. One of us got from the USA and Garmin replaced it without even batting an eyelid.
For the other two we got from UK it is a different story. The warranty in Europe is only 2 years. If your Nav goes bust within 2 years you have to send it to Motorrad and they are slouch!
If beyond 2 years it goes to garmin Europe who replace it for GBP 143 ONLY. I mean same company same product and crap.
Well if you were unlucky enough to buy it from Motorrad India the warranty is only 1 year!

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
There is an issue, goasting, call Garmin, they will replace with a NEW unit as well as the battery.
Thanks.
As i said earlier, called them and they are going to replace it.

·
Enthusiast
82 Posts
I've had 3 different BMW Nav units (4, 5, and 6) and put them all through hell and back from 100F in the Nevada desert to 20F in the Yukon; dry desert conditions to crazy humid S. Georgia; on my WR2540R beating the crap out of the bike on rock garden trails to multi-week trips on the road. I even dropped my Nav VI out of the cradle once at about 30 mph and sent it bouncing down the road (nothing but a few scuffs on it). I'm starting to feel really lucky that I haven't seen any of these problems with any of my units (had my Nav VI the longest of them) and I'm glad to hear that Garmin will stand behind it if/when it has a problem.

The input I gave on the contacts was based upon my experience with putting my Nav VI on my WR250R in a cradle that left the serial bus pins floating. Easy to solve that problem but I understand that some of you have experienced something entirely different.
That's great that your NAV6 has been that reliable. I suppose as with most things, YMMV...

As a matter of interest, when did you get your NAV6? I'm wondering if there was a bad batch that had weak/faulty displays...

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Got an email today saying Garmi received my NAV VI. Few hours later I got an email saying they shipped my replacement. 😁😁

·
Super Moderator
823 Posts
That's great that your NAV6 has been that reliable. I suppose as with most things, YMMV...

As a matter of interest, when did you get your NAV6? I'm wondering if there was a bad batch that had weak/faulty displays...
Purchased with my 2016 R1200GS in March of '16.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So the last 3 or 4 rides have been in high 40's to low 50's as far as temps. I don't think its to cold for the GPS?
The NAV VI acts like its possessed. It will not stay on one page even after I move it to that page. The arrow in the lower left highlights and then the screen go to the "Where do you want to go" page. After a while it would stay on the "My Motorcycle page" for a few minutes, then the arrow in lower left would highlight and back to to the "Where do you want to go" page.
Any ideas?
My 3rd NAV IV since 2017 arrives next week replaced under warranty. Exact same issue. Each time, Garmin told me the issue was fixed on the new unit. Hopefully it’s really fixed this time. It seems to happen after about a year and as soon as I hit below 50F on a ride. STILL - Garmin is super easy to work with. They stand behind it without a hassle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 3rd NAV IV since 2017 arrives next week replaced under warranty. Exact same issue. Each time, Garmin told me the issue was fixed on the new unit. Hopefully it’s really fixed this time. It seems to happen after about a year and as soon as I hit below 50F on a ride. STILL - Garmin is super easy to work with. They stand behind it without a hassle.
I meant NAV VI (not IV).

·
Registered
146 Posts
My experience: Got my Nav VI back from Garmin today. Took about 2 weeks for the process (it was during the Xmas holidays so mail was slow.) They said they were going to just replace the screen, but in fact I received a new unit. Took about 30 minutes to download the current updates. Ready to ride now (I think--haven't tried it yet.)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Update: Took about two weeks during Christmas holidays to get my unit back from Garmin. It turns out they replaced the whole unit, not just screen. Works fine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
So the last 3 or 4 rides have been in high 40's to low 50's as far as temps. I don't think its to cold for the GPS?
The NAV VI acts like its possessed. It will not stay on one page even after I move it to that page. The arrow in the lower left highlights and then the screen go to the "Where do you want to go" page. After a while it would stay on the "My Motorcycle page" for a few minutes, then the arrow in lower left would highlight and back to to the "Where do you want to go" page.
Any ideas?
Last week I had the same problem with my Navi VI! It was also very cold in the garage. It seemed like it could not lock onto GPS satellites. Even though the battery was at around 75%, I took it inside
to charge it up to 100%. After fully charged I turned it on and it worked perfectly. It may have been the very cold, 20's, temps......IDK.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I sent Garmin an email this morning letting them know about the issue. Lets see if/what they do anything about it. Stay tuned...................

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Took my replacement NAV VI out today and it worked as its supposed to. 👍👍
I'll do it again tomorrow just to make sure it's working. 😁

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Took my replacement NAV VI out today and it worked as its supposed to. 👍👍
I'll do it again tomorrow just to make sure it's working. 😁
Worked again today. Issue appears to be resolved.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts