R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are some very nice graphics kits out there for GS Adventure panniers . Does anyone make them for Jesse panniers?

I was in an accident awhile ago and the driver of the car that hit me said he didn't see me. Now I think I need to add some color to my triple Black GS.
Thanks

· Registered
1988 R100 RT, 2018 R1200 GS
140 Posts
I took a low cost approach. I purchased a roll of 2" wide yellow reflective tape from Amazon (Yellow Reflective Tape on Amazon), and put them on the rear of my side cases. I put the tape on the outer portion of the adjustable part, so when I adjust the cases larger, the tape moves outward. My BIL has a top case as well, and put the tape in an 'X' formation on his side cases and top case.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

· Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
2,392 Posts
A cousin of mine ran into a parked fire truck that had lights flashing and sirens blaring.

Point is a distracted driver won't see you no matter what you do. While it does not hurt reflectors, extra lights and bright clothing may not be doing all you think they are doing. Another point is road construction workers get hit daily and they wear bright reflective clothing, plenty of warning/caution prior to and in the construction zone coupled with restricted speed and still distracted drivers don't see them.

Don't get complacent with all the conspicuity add-ons. Just because you think you'll be seen doesn not mean you will be seen,

Reactions: BosqueDave

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A cousin of mine ran into a parked fire truck that had lights flashing and sirens blaring.

Point is a distracted driver won't see you no matter what you do. While it does not hurt reflectors, extra lights and bright clothing may not be doing all you think they are doing. Another point is road construction workers get hit daily and they wear bright reflective clothing, plenty of warning/caution prior to and in the construction zone coupled with restricted speed and still distracted drivers don't see them.

Don't get complacent with all the conspicuity add-ons. Just because you think you'll be seen doesn not mean you will be seen,
[/point taken 😎

· Registered
35 Posts

Your cousin's case is extreme and clearly they weren't focused on their driving. But an important part of visibility is movement. That clears up a lot of blind spots for people. Having those two reflective yellow stripes on the back of your bike or a triangle of headlights is great. But their value is exponentially improved by some lateral movement. A little weave from side to side when approaching an intersection or if someone is coming up on your tail really increases their chances of noticing you as well as being better able to judge your distance from them.

· Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
2,392 Posts
Your cousin's case is extreme and clearly they weren't focused on their driving. But an important part of visibility is movement. That clears up a lot of blind spots for people. Having those two reflective yellow stripes on the back of your bike or a triangle of headlights is great. But their value is exponentially improved by some lateral movement. A little weave from side to side when approaching an intersection or if someone is coming up on your tail really increases their chances of noticing you as well as being better able to judge your distance from them.
Not worried so much about the attentive driver as they are paying attention to what is going on around them. I more worried about the distracted driver like my cousin or the person texting while driving. Unfortunately, those are the ones that almost nothing you can do will grab their attention.

I don’t care if you want to dress in a suit of flashing lights have chartreuse ribbons dangling off your bike and a 1000 decibel siren blaring away. They may help but they may not. Do not get into the mindset that because you think you are visible that you are visible.

Reactions: BosqueDave

· Registered
105 Posts

There's also something called the "moth effect" which is as it implies, drivers get hyper-focused on the flashing lights and retro-reflective tape on emergency vehicles which then cause them to crash into said emergency vehicle.

From https://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/pdf/publications/fa_323.pdf (emphasis added)

The “Moth Effect”

There is limited scientific evidence to support the notion that drivers steer toward bright lights, such as those used to increase the visibility of emergency vehicles, as “moths to a flame" (often called the “moth effect” and technically, “phototaxis”). (Interview with Dr. Michael Flannagan, 2008; Green, 2009) Several recent studies, however, suggest that while bright lights may not be the cause, drivers' fixation on roadside objects can cause their steering to drift in the direction of their gaze. (Readinger et al., 2002; Chatziastros et al., 2006) This effect may be more pronounced with other impairments. The implications of these findings on emergency vehicle visibility/conspicuity are unknown, but certainly support the need for additional research on how to design passive conspicuity treatments so they draw drivers’ attention enough to induce the appropriate (“stay away”) response, without causing the potentially negative results of visual fixation.

· Registered
2008 R1200GS
46 Posts
Makes sense. Akin to "target fixation" when riding. If you look at a pothole, rocknor something in the road uoj want to miss, chances are good you will hit it. Rather look at where you want to go. I practice this with cateye reflectors on the highway and it is pretty accurate and easy to avoid hitting them when focusing on the area just next to them, even at high speed

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There's also something called the "moth effect" which is as it implies, drivers get hyper-focused on the flashing lights and retro-reflective tape on emergency vehicles which then cause them to crash into said emergency vehicle.

From https://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/pdf/publications/fa_323.pdf (emphasis added)

The “Moth Effect”

There is limited scientific evidence to support the notion that drivers steer toward bright lights, such as those used to increase the visibility of emergency vehicles, as “moths to a flame" (often called the “moth effect” and technically, “phototaxis”). (Interview with Dr. Michael Flannagan, 2008; Green, 2009) Several recent studies, however, suggest that while bright lights may not be the cause, drivers' fixation on roadside objects can cause their steering to drift in the direction of their gaze. (Readinger et al., 2002; Chatziastros et al., 2006) This effect may be more pronounced with other impairments. The implications of these findings on emergency vehicle visibility/conspicuity are unknown, but certainly support the need for additional research on how to design passive conspicuity treatments so they draw drivers’ attention enough to induce the appropriate (“stay away”) response, without causing the potentially negative results of visual fixation.
Thanks for this. Much more than I received form MSF.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This has been a great thread with lots of shared wisdom.

Back in the 1970's when I rode my R75/5 daily, I used Capital Cycle for parts. Each piece of packaging I received from that business contained the words "Ride like you are invisible." I have practiced that by staying out of blind spots. Ensuring I can see the driver in their mirrors and they me. Riding with my high beams on. Wearing bright colors. I installed a multiplexer that illuminated my turn signals as running lights. I practice ATGATT with high quality gear, Aerostitch, Shoei, First Gear, etc. (Probably saved me from more serious injury in this accident.) I have also taken Rider Safety Training as a refresher.

But now motorcyclists have a new threat. Drivers distracted with their cell phones relying on lane departure warning, dynamic cruise control, and other autonomous tech. Instead of getting safer, it seems to have made drivers more lazy!

Since that accident, I have purchased a Helite air bag vest in HiViz and a Brake Free light for my helmet. Maybe that will keep me safe awhile longer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts