R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
New to ADV riding, not new to motorcycles. Just purchased a 2018 R1200GS. 1st BMW, View attachment 33959
Great bike, lots of questions to come.
Great looking bike.

Depending on your motorcycle history, if you don't already have a lot of offroad/dirt bike experience, I would highly recommend the BMW 2-day offroad class in Greer, SC, or similar training. I bought my GS just for touring initially, but have since really come to appreciate the versatility of this motorcycle, to combine long distance touring with the ability to take on gravel roads of any condition and even the occasional single trail and to overall increase my skill level on and off the road.

Whatever your mission is, I hope you enjoy your GS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great link to ANF. It has been my intention to ride there with my 4 wheeler. Haven’t made the time yet.
I also intend to use this bike for touring. I expect a fair amount of dirt/gravel roads. Switching from Anakee adventure tires to a 90/10 tire for the rest of the year. Hopefully get to use it for commuting as well as a couple planned 1000 mile weekend trips soon. I want to try different way of loading, gain more comfort with the bike in general and build some confidence. It’s been a real hoot so far

·
Registered
1998 Valkyrie, 2021 Ninja 1000SX, 2005 R1200GS
35 Posts
If you're looking to go east, there's a trans-mass trail that looks like it could be some fun. there's also the NE BDR. it starts in hancock i believe but i don't have much information on that. new york is really pretty bad for adv motorcycling as the public lands are almost completely off limits. I was riding around oregon and there's just dirt trails going off the highway at random. it's far more conducive to adventure out there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have two trips to Vermont coming up and I want to investigate the Northeast BDR. A section of it passes very close to where I’ll be. I have two trips that I want to take one next year and one hopefully the following year if I my nephew gets his bike outfitted and stuff we are going to go to Maine and drive around. If he does not I am going to go to Goosebay labrador and then the following year I want to ride the Dempster highway to the arctic ocean.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts