R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks and greetings from Scotland.

I've just bought my first BMW although I've been riding bikes for over 45yrs.

I went for a basic 2008 R1200 GS with 21K miles on it.

No abs or anything other fancy as I've never needed the stuff before and more to go wrong.

I've already picked up a second hand Sargent Seat and after market tail pipe.

Any other thoughts on sensible mods?

Cheers, Matt.
Screenshot_20201121-150900__01.jpg

·
Registered
51 Posts
Perhaps the most important issues are to check with the BMW database that your recalls have been done. That may include the fuel pump(s) and rear wheel hub. Also, if you have the plastic fuel tank quick disconnects, you should replace them with metal. I ride mine on the road, so I have not invested in all the protection farkles.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hi Matt, change all of fluids, filters, spark plugs, belt, put the helmet and twist the throttle with fun!

·
Super Moderator
946 Posts
Where in Scotland are you? Until the pandemic put the kibosh on it, we had some bikes rented in Inverness and had planned on doing the North Coast 500 and Skye. That was to be in October but didn't happen. I'm looking forward to getting reset on that ride when the time is right and would love to hear of your favorite places to ride there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wide foot pegs and crash bars would be my no1/2 and I see you already have the crash bars, makes all the difference when riding long distances, but add ons can go for days...not including the camp gear when you start going on off-road adventures, just be careful of the Vario boxes, mine couldn't handle the gravel roads and broke apart, these days I tend to prefer the soft bags from SW-Motech

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where in Scotland are you? Until the pandemic put the kibosh on it, we had some bikes rented in Inverness and had planned on doing the North Coast 500 and Skye. That was to be in October but didn't happen. I'm looking forward to getting reset on that ride when the time is right and would love to hear of your favorite places to ride there.
Hi, I'm based over on the East coast of Scotland in Dundee. To be honest then the West coast of Scotland is a great place for riding bikes.

Applecross is a nice wee place with an interesting road down to it.
Skye is good as well but the main thing to do in Scotland is to go and explore.

When you pickup your bikes then ask the people there for suggestions and routes as they should be willing to help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts