R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I took ownership of a 2009 R1200 GS at the end of September 2019.

Up until then I had owned a KLE 500, F650 GS 2003, CBF600S 2012 and NC 750x 2014.

When I got the bike, the rubber handlebar grips were disintegrating slightly. I saw videos etc online of replacement rubber grips, but couldn't find any locally.

Then I found some grip puppies and they seemed great for a while, but in December I noticed that the CMC joint in my thumbs, especially the left one, would become painful. I thought it was due to the thickness of the grip puppies when operating the clutch in traffic.

In January 2020 I located some replacement rubber grips, so I took off the grip puppies and replaced the rubber grips.

However, the pain persists, not as severe though.

I had a thought that it may be my posture when on this bike, perhaps leaning forward with the weight on my thumbs.

Has anyone else experienced this and could anyone provide some advice, please.

Thanks.

Keep the rubber side down.

·
Registered
102 Posts
For me on long rides wrist pain can be a challenge, wrapping my right wrist helps and looking at getting some neoprene gloves.

For the thumb pain I wonder if you are just gripping the bars too much? On my 07 GSA I felt the stock grips were too thin, so got shark smart grip buddies in the thin version.

Maybe try something like this to give the thumb more support:
Reversible Thumb & Wrist Stabilizer Splint for BlackBerry Thumb, Trigger Finger, Pain Relief, Arthritis, Tendonitis, Sprained and Carpal Tunnel Supporting, Lightweight and Breathable Amazon.com: Reversible Thumb & Wrist Stabilizer Splint for BlackBerry Thumb, Trigger Finger, Pain Relief, Arthritis, Tendonitis, Sprained and Carpal Tunnel Supporting, Lightweight and Breathable: Health & Personal Care

1 - 2 of 2 Posts