R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I'm considering purchasing a GS-911 WIFI to service my 2018 R1200GS. Has anyone used the GS-911 with the MAC/iPAD/iPhone app? If so, did it work well for you? I've searched for videos/instructions, but all I can find is instructions for use with a PC. Thanks.

·
Registered
275 Posts
831-438-1100 That's the number for the Beemer Shop. Call and talk to Ted Porter. He is THE GS-911 man. He will tell you anything you want to know about the 911 and IOS. He spent about 30 minutes helping me get the software installed on my PC. I went with an old PC rather than my Macbook, because it doesn't have to have internet connection to work. Meaning you can put your laptop in your pannier and hit the road. I might also mention that Ted is very patient and didn't mention even once what a dumbass I obviously am when it comes to computers.

·
Registered
752 Posts
The iPhone is fine for troubleshooting with the 911 and clearing errors, but full service for bleeding brakes and such you'll need a WiFi enabled PC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have you try diagnostic tool from duonix? it self contain and does not need laptop or cell phone.

Tony

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies all - much appreciated! I do want to perform service (i.e. brake fluid change) so the Duonix is not an option. I've heard great things about Ted Porter and I'll probably go though him to get the GS911.
I'm under the impression that you can do full service with the iOS app through the Hex Cloud as long as you have connectivity, but perhaps that's not correct. It's looking like the best way to go is to find an old Windows PC and USB connect to the GS-911.

Coming from older bikes that were pretty straight forward to work on - this '18 GS is a learning experience.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Bob's BMW recently had the GS-911 Wifi on a really good sale and I almost sprung for one but having not used a Windows PC since the late 1980's I have no interest in having even a cheap Windows notebook in my garage nor installing Windows on my MacOS computers, I passed on it.

That limitation didn't stop me from buying a PDM60 mainly because I'm happy with the way it's programmed out of the box. I understand that Rowe may now have a MacOS version of the app for their programmable power distribution products.

·
Registered
275 Posts
As an aside, Ted Porter didn't recommend running the GS-911 off of my Iphone, so you might want to talk to him before you spend the extra money for the bluetooth model.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have been an Apple guy for 20yrs, but was all set to buy a used PC laptop for my GS911 WIFI.

I had emailed HEX to ask them something related to the EZcan and added the question about the PC requirements.
In their reply they said as long as you have a connection to the internet, whether via your home wifi or using you iPhone as a hotspot using cellular data you can perform all the functions via their cloud server.

I took them for their word and have had no issues using the GS911 on my 2018 GSA with my Macbook Air connected to my home wifi. My home wifi signal is strong enough to reach my garden shed.
I haven't done anything major at this point as I'm not there for service interval at this time.

If I'm on the road, I have my iPhone with me, so I see no need to bring along a laptop just for service

brian

·
Not that senior.
695 Posts
P.C for me.

I only use my GS911 on an old P.C which sits in the garage.
I used it last weekend after doing a full service and brake fluid change, and it upgraded the software to include the new 1250.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been an Apple guy for 20yrs, but was all set to buy a used PC laptop for my GS911 WIFI.

I had emailed HEX to ask them something related to the EZcan and added the question about the PC requirements.
In their reply they said as long as you have a connection to the internet, whether via your home wifi or using you iPhone as a hotspot using cellular data you can perform all the functions via their cloud server.

I took them for their word and have had no issues using the GS911 on my 2018 GSA with my Macbook Air connected to my home wifi. My home wifi signal is strong enough to reach my garden shed.
I haven't done anything major at this point as I'm not there for service interval at this time.

If I'm on the road, I have my iPhone with me, so I see no need to bring along a laptop just for service

brian
Thanks Brian! Good to know I have the option of using my Mac.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It has worked well to do diagnostics and clear codes however it would not allow me to reset the service reminder on iOS or Mac. Gave me an error message that I had the wrong model or something like that. I had to use a PC to do the reset. Using the PC lets you get into the program while Mac acts just like the iOS app.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts