R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm coming up on my 12K valve check (2018 GS) and wondering how many of you have found a need for adjustment on this first check? I'm just trying to figure out if I need to have shims at the ready. On my previous boxers, I've reused the valve cover gaskets and assume I can do the same here. Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I waited until 24K Miles to check the valves on my 2014 GSA, no adjustment was required. I also reused the gaskets and have had no leaks after riding another 7K miles.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just did 48,000 mile check and still good. Still the same gaskets too.

Reactions: Southpaw

·
Registered
222 Posts
2018 GSA, 2 valve checks....no adjustment....same gaskets

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the replies - things are looking good for for not having to adjust the valves. I'm tempted to skip it all together, but with the long winter months coming, I'll likely have a look.

·
Survivor
710 Posts
At 43,000 miles all my valves but one were at the identical gap that they were when I checked them at 600 miles. One exhaust valve tightened by 0.01mm.

·
Registered
1 Posts
'16 GS W/ ~24kmi. Valves still in spec and reused gaskets. It's very easy to check the valves and you should do it if not for peace of mind. Several good you tube videos on process. Have fun!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again for the replies. So far adjustment needed = 0/9. Maybe I should have set up a poll (not that I know how to...) as this might be useful to others.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I have always had mine done by my local dealer, and they have never needed adjusting.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would definitely do the first one to see where they are at (establish baseline) and decide frequency from that. Also good opportunity to check cam wear and make sure that is normal too.

Reactions: Rick92040

·
Registered
12 Posts
2016 GSA, has 100,000 miles, no adjustments needed
I find that hard to believe. Who did the service? I ran my '15GSA for 70k and it required shim changes on the exhaust side every 12,000 or so reaching 36k. I have the shim and clearance history for every check and found that I lost .02mm every 6,000miles. Most of the riding I do is 300-500 miles per day on multi-day trips. Western US.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I find that hard to believe. Who did the service? I ran my '15GSA for 70k and it required shim changes on the exhaust side every 12,000 or so reaching 36k. I have the shim and clearance history for every check and found that I lost .02mm every 6,000miles. Most of the riding I do is 300-500 miles per day on multi-day trips. Western US.
I did the service myself. No adjustments in 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did the service myself. No adjustments in 100,000 miles.
Who did your service? Looks strange to me that you have to change shims every 6000 miles. I do long rides too, mostly 300 miles a day for longer trips.
I had other bikes with shims, like K100, K1600, almost never had to replace shims. My dealer's head tech tells me they have to adjust the shims very seldom, only a few bikes and mostly during the first 12,000 miles maintenance .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts