R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use a non-BMW low seat? I am 5'8" with a 30" inseam and I'm just a little short on my new 2018 GS. I'm looking at Touratech, Sargent, Seat Concepts and a few others. Please let me know your experiences with any of these.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Another option is take have the original seat modified. I've had a couple of seats done by auto-trimmer who gave up car, boat and truck upholstery for doing motorcycle seats.
DO a search in your local area.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam. I have the GSA low and have the Corbin low solo seat. I'm really liking the seat. It's not even something I think about anymore.

My GSA low was perfect with my feet flat on the ground with a full tank of gas and the settings set to one rider and luggage. When I put Karoo 3s on the bike it raised it up enough that I was on the balls of my feet. Unacceptable for me as I ride some technical offroad where being able to put your foot down firmly if you need to is a "must".

While not on my GSA but on my previous ADV bikes, I've tried Sargent, and Seat Concepts as well as Corbin. I've found I have a Corbin "butt". It takes a couple/few hundred miles of riding to break it in. After they are broken in, they are super comfortable. Comfortable to the point I don't even think about my seat any more. I've gone a couple hours in the saddle with no issues. I do have to shift position a bit but it's never to the point I have to stop because of the seat unlike some other bikes I've owned.

I was initially concerned about the peg to seat distance that my legs might be folded up too much. But thats not the case. I find it comfortable. I don't find myself wishing for more leg room. I also don't find the bike to be too low in any regard. One of the other side benefits is now the windscreen in it's tallest position offers even more wind protection, basically less buffeting of the helmet.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the seat!

Does anyone use a non-BMW low seat? I am 5'8" with a 30" inseam and I'm just a little short on my new 2018 GS. I'm looking at Touratech, Sargent, Seat Concepts and a few others. Please let me know your experiences with any of these.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I, too, am 5'7.5"-5'8" on a long day. 30" inseam

The stock low seat was torture.

Yes, there are mods for your seat pan, like Seat Concepts. I had a Corbin on a prev roadster, that I liked, but the Corbins I was looking at for the low GS required a different latch and only had a one piece model. Corbins are heavy, too.

I went with the Sargent Low and am happy with it, though it is firm. It's taken thousands of miles to break in, but quality is there. I got just the driver seat and it looks fine with the stock pillion on the rear. Also, as you know probably, you do not have to send your seat in, so you can sell it later, or refurb or whatever, and Sargent has a decent return policy.

It is a bit wider than the stock, just a bit, and the leg curve with it is greater. Maybe, maybe maybe 1/8 to 1/4 in farther from the ground. Not an issue.

I like it. I am happy with it and not at all shopping around any more Not as comfy as the Corbin was, but a lot lighter, uses OEM latch, and is cheaper.

If I were in Corbin's neighborhood, I would check it out, though, just to see... Hollister, Ca

Hope this helps

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm still waiting for a solid review of the new Airhawk/Danny Gray low inflatable seat. I'm coming up on a year and 10k miles with my OEM low seat ( the one with the piping and GS embroidered logo) and I'm looking for something more all day comfortable as my rides are getting longer. With a sheepskin pad on it it is tolerable up until about the 250 mile mark. Past that not so much. It won't be a Russell Day Long ( hate the shape). I've heard mixed on the Sargent and not much on the Corbin. I've had good luck with Seat Concepts for small bikes so that may be a possibility. Does BMW make a "comfort" seat for the GS? I had one on my 800 and it was very good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I find Sargent seat to be too wide at the thighs, and Corbin bulky and heavy. I settled on touratech although had to embed a gel layer under my rump as the seat is way too hard otherwise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
607 Posts
There is also the BMW Rallye seat, which is a bit lower and I think narrower.
I use it and love it.
The rallye seat sits higher than the stock seat or the low seat, also the position has to be High in front and Low in the rear.
Yes its narrower and that kinda helps cos the legs come closer together. I have both the BMW low and the Rallye seat which came stock but I still cant decide which is better

·
Registered
8 Posts
Are you setting your suspension in MIN, thats the best mod I have so far for lowering seat height. I have the Sargent low seat and its not that much lower than the standard GS seat as its wider, the foam also needs a couple of thousand miles to bed down.

I found that my suspension is settling down now and is lower than when I got the bike new, the seat is also bedding in. I also put on the wunderlich seat cams which lower the seat about 1/4 inch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sargent Seat

Hello there! I am 5’8” or 5’9” with 30 inseam as well. I happen to be in JAX, Sargent’s town, and believe it or not, My 2014 GSW Low was what He used for modeling and making the low seat. Left the ride there for 2 weeks.. :smile2:
I really like the seats, you do have to ride them a bit but well worth the money on long trips. I changed my ride for a 2018 GSW Low and kept the seats, he did a nice “GSW” letter stitching on the back one... Really love them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm still waiting for a solid review of the new Airhawk/Danny Gray low inflatable seat. I'm coming up on a year and 10k miles with my OEM low seat ( the one with the piping and GS embroidered logo) and I'm looking for something more all day comfortable as my rides are getting longer. With a sheepskin pad on it it is tolerable up until about the 250 mile mark. Past that not so much. It won't be a Russell Day Long ( hate the shape). I've heard mixed on the Sargent and not much on the Corbin. I've had good luck with Seat Concepts for small bikes so that may be a possibility. Does BMW make a "comfort" seat for the GS? I had one on my 800 and it was very good.
Hello I have the Low IST Danny Gray front and passenger seat coming in soon, I will let you know how it works for me.
I have had Seat Concepts sears on my last 4 bikes and really like them. I tried a dual sport air hawk seat on my Versys 1000 and wow what a difference even on the Seat Concepts low.
So I picked up a 2016 GSA used and want to have a great seat so I ordered one. The stock sear is okay but it does push you forward towards the tank which folds your pants under you and your jewels.

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
120 Posts
On my 2009 R1200GS, I have the Touratech low seat. Best upgrade ever. Way more comfortable than the original seat, I'm 5'8" with 32" inseam, I could get away with the regular height but 1-I got the Touratech used for a very low price 2-I like the more solid feet on the ground with the ESA in Enduro mode.

It's interesting to know that Touratech uses regular BMW seat base, that means that a good artisan can make a new foam/cover that will be as good.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had high hopes for the Airhawk/Danny Gray but once I got it I didn't care for it at all. Returned it within a week. Riding a Russell Sport seat now. Seems to be breaking in nicely but no long rides these days. I live in a small flat state with mostly boring roads, and the states next door have specifically said they don't want out-of-staters breathing on their people. For that matter, neither does mine :(.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the low stock seat it pushes you forward in the low front position. Good for a hour.
now I have the Low Danny Gray IST seat front and rear. It’s a lot more comfy due to the material and the air system that you change on the fly. It also sits lower for your feet. The negative is the gap between the seat in front and the tank. I’m waiting for Lars the designer to get back with me.
The seat I show here is in the high position it’s closer in low position but the seat is comfy, I’ve had 4 seat concepts and a Sargent plus Corbin to, they are good but not as good as the Danny Gray seat with IST! Just need the gap adjusted. My honest seat review.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got a 2009 GS with a Touratech extra low seat. I have a 32" inseam and can seat flat footed on my bike. With ESA on off road high I can touch with the balls of my feet.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I have a 16 with low suspension. The BMW low seat was torture after an hour or so. I got the Sargent Low seat, prob in mid 16, when the bike was about 6 months old. I am almost 5'8 with an inseam of 30-31. I measured it when it arrived and it may be at most 1/8" taller than OEM (or not). I use one helmet and soft suspension around town unladen. I can almost flat foot. When I am loaded up, again one helmet but normal suspension, I can come very close to flat footing. The bike still feels tall, but definitely manageable. The Sargent is very firm, but I have NO DESIRE to search for something different. It is fine. I liked that they had a return policy, and I consider the purchase money well spent. I just got the rider seat, using the OEM for pillion and aesthetically that is fine for me.
I wear Sidi Adventure (I think) boots and they had a pretty thick vibram sole. The soles are worn down now and I feel if I replaced the soles I would be able to flat foot. It is that close. I considered Seat Concepts and all the ones you see mentioned, but for the price point, the quick shipping, the return policy and the reputation I chose Sargent and am happy with it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts