R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a 2014 R1200 GS. Cold here in North Georgia, so decided to do some maintenance. 14,500 mi. on the bike. Decided to do all the fluids since unsure of status. Brake fluid flush was enlightening. Front and rear master cylinders contained white goo. First time I have ever seen this in any brake system. Sent the pictures to my buddy and he pulled the cover off the front master cylinder of his 16 K16. Same thing except much worse. Both bikes obviously have original brake fuid. What the hell kind of fluid do they put in these bikes from the factory? Never seen this in any Japanese or American bike or car in my 64 years.

Top image is my GS, bottom image is my buddy's K16. The same goo was in my rear master cylinder as well. Got all the goo out, flushed all old fluid, activated ABS with GS911, and rebled system. All good now. Pretty nasty stuff. The K16 only has 7,000 mi.

·
Registered
2014 R1200 GS Lowered Chassis
43 Posts
If you don't flush & bleed at least every two years (should be every year) the white goo is very likely. Here in Colorado, USA, we are lucky because of the low humidity. So I go every two years on my motorcycles. Big problems can result from lack of attention to this so glad you have addressed it...

David

·
Survivor
726 Posts
Been riding BMWs 40 years and have never seen anything close to that on any bike. Being 6-7 years old in the humidity of the SE is a bad combo. At least the bike has found a good home.

Reactions: Toter

·
Super Moderator
766 Posts
Moisture would be my guess too. I wonder if the master cylinders on these bikes weren't sealed as well making them more susceptible? My other hypothesis would be the BMW factory had a bad batch of fluid with moisture in it.

Either way good you cleaned it out and chnaged it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess maybe if the previous owner stored the bike in a non-temperature controlled area it would be exposed to more Georgia humidity. The bike was definitely garaged based on the appearance of the bike. Good thing is it's all cleaned out and will have a cozy garage to reside in, while I am not out getting it dirty.

·
Registered
636 Posts
If you dig into enough bikes you'll find all kinds of things. Here's a jug of brake fluid I pulled from a 2005 R1200GS last summer. The rear servo ABS was failed the front circuit worked. It always cheap insurance to try and flush the brake systems to see if that remedies the problem before deciding to do something more drastic. As soon as I started flushing the circuits the brake fluid came out as chocolate milk then black then clear after sufficiently flushed. The bottle pictured actually looks a lot better that it was because I used a lot of brake fluid so there is actually a lot of new brake fluid diluting the old.

In the fall I bought a 2007 GS that the front brakes would lock up if you touched the front brake lever and the ABS light was on. I mean lock tight where you could not move the bike. After 30 minutes or so the brakes would relax and you could move the bike. But if you ever so slightly toughed the brake lever they would lock again. While looking for calipers rebuild kits I thought why not try and give them a flush/bleed to see if it does anything for the ABS. When I opened the master cylinder the fluid looked cloudy. When I flushed the calipers the fluid was not brown but yellow/green cloudy. After a good flush the brakes stopped locking up and functioned as they would normally. I'm guessing there was so much water in the brake fluid it couldn't compress and when the lever was pulled it would push the caliper piston out and not allow them to retract.

SB4.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you dig into enough bikes you'll find all kinds of things. Here's a jug of brake fluid I pulled from a 2005 R1200GS last summer. The rear servo ABS was failed the front circuit worked. It always cheap insurance to try and flush the brake systems to see if that remedies the problem before deciding to do something more drastic. As soon as I started flushing the circuits the brake fluid came out as chocolate milk then black then clear after sufficiently flushed. The bottle pictured actually looks a lot better that it was because I used a lot of brake fluid so there is actually a lot of new brake fluid diluting the old.

In the fall I bought a 2007 GS that the front brakes would lock up if you touched the front brake lever and the ABS light was on. I mean lock tight where you could not move the bike. After 30 minutes or so the brakes would relax and you could move the bike. But if you ever so slightly toughed the brake lever they would lock again. While looking for calipers rebuild kits I thought why not try and give them a flush/bleed to see if it does anything for the ABS. When I opened the master cylinder the fluid looked cloudy. When I flushed the calipers the fluid was not brown but yellow/green cloudy. After a good flush the brakes stopped locking up and functioned as they would normally. I'm guessing there was so much water in the brake fluid it couldn't compress and when the lever was pulled it would push the caliper piston out and not allow them to retract.

View attachment 28843
Looks like what some Georgia boys carry around for their dip spit! Nasty!

·
Registered
316 Posts
If you own a GS-911 diagnostic tool or have access to one. This video makes the ABS Brake service a cinch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Recently purchased a 2014 R1200 GS. Cold here in North Georgia, so decided to do some maintenance. 14,500 mi. on the bike. Decided to do all the fluids since unsure of status. Brake fluid flush was enlightening. Front and rear master cylinders contained white goo. First time I have ever seen this in any brake system. Sent the pictures to my buddy and he pulled the cover off the front master cylinder of his 16 K16. Same thing except much worse. Both bikes obviously have original brake fuid. What the hell kind of fluid do they put in these bikes from the factory? Never seen this in any Japanese or American bike or car in my 64 years.
View attachment 28840

View attachment 28841

Top image is my GS, bottom image is my buddy's K16. The same goo was in my rear master cylinder as well. Got all the goo out, flushed all old fluid, activated ABS with GS911, and rebled system. All good now. Pretty nasty stuff. The K16 only has 7,000 mi.
DOT 4 brake fluid is hygroscopic, which means it'll absorb water from the air. Don't know what BMW's requirement is, but you should do an annual brake fluid replacement. And definitely, don't use DOT 4 from an opened can.

·
Survivor
726 Posts
Much depends on where you live. Montana is a fairly arid environment on the front side of the range and brake fluid that is kept capped in a controlled temperature environment will keep for quite awhile. BMW calls for a brake fluid flush every two years. I tend to do it every year, but every now and then one of our bikes gets overlooked. No problems yet. On Spousal Unit's F8GS and F650GS the rear fluid would look like coffee after six months. I changed the fluid 2-3 times a year and eventually the fluid began lasting longer. I think the brake line was causing the darkening.

Reactions: Krons
1 - 12 of 12 Posts