R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am looking at getting an ADV bike. Narrowed it down to a GS, or a Tiger. I am pretty sure I can guess the bias of this forum, but it never hurts to ask. I will also be posing the question to the folks on the Triumph forum.

I am 58 and retired. Getting rid of a couple of cruisers (I am over the Harley thing and my wife also rides. ) The Harley and a VStar 950 are going to new good homes...I hope. My wife wanted only 1 bike for herself,so she found a '13 R1200 R. Loves it. I am rather impressed myself. My other bike is a '15 Street Triple (gotta love that sound).

So I am looking to get an ADV bike to at as a sport-touring and some off roading. 90/10. Don't know for sure yet,but it would only be fire roads and the like. I live on the Texas coast, so occasional beach runs would be fun too.

That is background for gathering comments from this great forum. I'll bet I am not the only one having considered these 2 bikes. Most likely looking at the standard models,not the GSA or Triumph Explorer Xc.

Thoughts and things to consider? Things to avoid. Must have's. Looking for used, don't need new. Thanks.
I bought a Tiger 1200 XCa new last year. Loved the handling, power, and performance, but I got rid of it after 1000 miles or so. The problem is the bike is extremely top heavy. When you're moving the bike in your garage, it's a constant struggle to keep it upright. The tilting point is very high, which means at a standstill, if you aren't extremely careful all the time, the bike will suddenly drop even if it'sonly slightly tilted over. Slanted ground makes it even trickier. Because it's top heavy, it's also more challenging to pick up after a drop.

After selling the Tiger, I bought a new 2020 BMW R1250 GS Adventure, and it is excellent in every way. The engine sits low in the frame, so the bike isn't top heavy at all, even with the large 9 gallon gas tank filled. I originally bought the Triumph because it was not as expensive as the GS. That wound up costing me a lot, but I'm happy anyhow because the GS is so great, and because it's a bike you can trust.

FA

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am looking at getting an ADV bike. Narrowed it down to a GS, or a Tiger. I am pretty sure I can guess the bias of this forum, but it never hurts to ask. I will also be posing the question to the folks on the Triumph forum.

I am 58 and retired. Getting rid of a couple of cruisers (I am over the Harley thing and my wife also rides. ) The Harley and a VStar 950 are going to new good homes...I hope. My wife wanted only 1 bike for herself,so she found a '13 R1200 R. Loves it. I am rather impressed myself. My other bike is a '15 Street Triple (gotta love that sound).

So I am looking to get an ADV bike to at as a sport-touring and some off roading. 90/10. Don't know for sure yet,but it would only be fire roads and the like. I live on the Texas coast, so occasional beach runs would be fun too.

That is background for gathering comments from this great forum. I'll bet I am not the only one having considered these 2 bikes. Most likely looking at the standard models,not the GSA or Triumph Explorer Xc.

Thoughts and things to consider? Things to avoid. Must have's. Looking for used, don't need new. Thanks.
I went through the same questions a few years ago until we rented a std GS in Victoria BC for a tour of Vancouver Island. My response to everyone who asked "why a BMW" is this bike has the fewest comprimises of any bike I have ever owned in 50 years of motorcycling. Our 2015 std GS is used primarily for 2up touring. If seat height is an issue get a lowered version.
Bruce

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would find yourself an R1200R and turn it into a scrambler... then, you and your wife can be on the same maintenance kick, and ride like twins on road. I have owned and ridden the R1200GS, R1200R, F800GS and still have my F800R which has scrambler tires and the GS Brembo rear shock. It is a wonderful fire road bike... I don't bottom out... and I'm 6' and 230. Also, remember that the F800GS is still 84HP, and almost matches the torque of the 1200. It is much more nimble than the 1200 for a single rider, if you are only riding one up, and may give you far more off-road enjoyment, if you start to get more serious.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts