R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
BMW R1200GA, 2017 model
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Yesterday I noticed that my lock barrel for the seat is missing so I phoned up BMW dealer and they were nice enough to agree to see me today, they installed a new lock, checked everything, all worked and nicely secured, they didn't even charged me! I left the dealer and came straight home and checked the lock and it is missing again - it felt off during my ride home!
Tire Wheel Motorcycle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

I phoned the dealer again and explained what happened, they said it must be something wrong with the bike and they can't just keep fitting new locks, they checked everything after fitting a new lock in and all was fine, they have no idea why it keeps coming out.
I ordered a new coded lock and will be picking it up next week.
Does anyone know what the problem can be? Will I be able to fit it myself? How do I make sure it doesn't come out again?
Any advice will be appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Two possibilities...

1) It's installed 180 degrees which means the retention wafer isn't behind anything. Basically the lock is held on my tension alone.

2) The captive ring or whatever, that the retention waste is to go behind is messed up.

·
Registered
BMW R1200GA, 2017 model
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two possibilities...

1) It's installed 180 degrees which means the retention wafer isn't behind anything. Basically the lock is held on my tension alone.

2) The captive ring or whatever, that the retention waste is to go behind is messed up.
Thank you, I will be picking up lock this morning from BMW and will see what I can do about fixing it properly. I am surprised that dealer couldn't do it.

·
Registered
BMW R1200GA, 2017 model
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I installed a new lock yesterday, checked it with the key (by trying to pull it out while the key is inserted) and it all looked secure, i couldn't get the lock out, this is what bmw dealer did last week as well. Today took a bike to work and arrived to work without a lock, it fell out, again! :(
Vibrations do the thing and the lock just comes out, very weird. Captive ring seems fine and not damaged, I have no idea how to secure the lock inside the frame, feels like under seat lock needs another securing mechanism/lock to make sure it does not come out. Running out of options!

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
780 Posts
Your problem is quite unusual, it's the first time I hear/read about it (and I'm quite active on a few GS forums).

Maybe it's the lubrification, too much or too thick grease could prevent full extention of the spring-loaded lock tab.

If the lock is too clean, it could also be the opposite, since there is no grease to damp the movement of the lock tab, maybe a small shock makes it retract...

·
Registered
BMW R1200GA, 2017 model
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your problem is quite unusual, it's the first time I hear/read about it (and I'm quite active on a few GS forums).

Maybe it's the lubrification, too much or too thick grease could prevent full extention of the spring-loaded lock tab.

If the lock is too clean, it could also be the opposite, since there is no grease to damp the movement of the lock tab, maybe a small shock makes it retract...
You are right, this is what BMW dealer said as well. apparently they have such an issue on GS800 but not on a big daddy GS.
There was no grease on a lock, springs seems way too tiny to me and do not provide a proper force against retraction of the lock tab once it is inserted. Will get a new lock and will think how to secure it, may be a barn lock will do. :)

·
Registered
BMW R1200GA, 2017 model
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the initial damage was done when I dropped the bike last autumn on its left side and then lock just popped out, but it was installed by BMW next day and it held for a while until the bike was not taken back to BMW to sort out my faulty shock absorber, I assume they would have to operate the lock to do this job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts