R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my Rallye X since March, today I rolled the bike out of my warehouse to warm it up on the side stand. The engine vibration basically vibrated the bike forward off the side stand...WTF. The BMW left engine bar scratched, bent and is now resting on top of the cylinder head. The driveway is slightly slopping forwards and I always double kick the stand to ensure it is down fully. I have owned lots of bikes and have four in the shed currently, I have never experienced this...piss poor design from BMW if you ask me! Does anyone have a LHS BMW engine bar for sale in OZ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I’ve seen a Harley Davidson do the same thing, as a result I never leave the bike idling on the side stand if there is any slope (making the bike roll forward) at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I placed order for 2021 R1250GS, the seller insisted that BMW Crash Bars are the best and wanted me to buy them. When I questioned the fact that on simple tip over the bar would bend towards the cilynder cover, he said that's the way it's supposed to be, to preserve the frame. Well, that's his opinion. I have mine after 35 years of riding and I kindly declined BMW bars and ordered SW-Motech ones that have 4 points connection to the frame vs 3 points on BMW ones.
I know, in case of more serious crash the frame may suffer more then it should because of that 4th point but I don't plan to crash more seriously.
I've seen one bar accessory as an adition to BMW bars, that will make that "missing" connection:
Stainless steel reinforcing strut for original BMW engine crash bar, BMW R1250GS / R1250GS Adventure | Touratech GmbH

·
Registered
845 Posts
I learned long ago to not leave my bike in neutral while on the side stand.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Are you sure the sidestand was fully deployed? Is the side stand stock or modified with a foot or extension? If the bike was on level ground and the side stand fully extended it seems almost an impossibility for this to happen.

·
Registered
141 Posts
In rider manual is written: when ground is not level, orient the bike with front wheel higher then rear. In this way is almost impossible drop down or tip over.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you sure the sidestand was fully deployed? Is the side stand stock or modified with a foot or extension? If the bike was on level ground and the side stand fully extended it seems almost an impossibility for this to happen.
Slight slop forward, always park my Harley and Triumph in the same spot for warm up...no issue...and yes the stand was fully deployed! Try this link re footage

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Slight slop forward, always park my Harley and Triumph in the same spot for warm up...no issue...and yes the stand was fully deployed! Try this link re footage
No modification..
Even worse is that it bent the engine bar on a tip over like that, that's just wrong.
The BMW engine bars are not great, Tourtech make an additional brace to suit to support the rear. The BMW bars are not cheap either $370 AUSD per side...at least you can buy them separately (y)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Three lessons that should be learned by the OP instead of bitchn about the manufacturer of his motorcycle:
1. RTFM
2. Don’t idle your engine to warm it up. There is no need to do so and it is harmful to your engine. If you doubt me, see No.1.
3. Don’t park your bike on a downward slope with the front wheel heading down whether on the side or center stand, but especially on the side stand with the engine idling. Once again, if you have any doubts about this, see no. 1.

As for the the crash bar bending, as bosnjo’s dealer correctly advised him, BMW designed the bars to be sacrificial. They bend before the frame will. I get the concept but nevertheless have SW Motech bars on my 1250GS. I blame it on vanity as I just do not like the look of the OEM bars. SWM’s black bars look so much nicer on my motorcycle IMO. To me, adding the additional point on the OEM bars is the worst of all solutions. You wind up with ugly bars that are less capable of protecting your bike from damage on a fall, crash or tip over; again IMO. As has been memorialized in writing since as early as the third century BC: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Last Thursday I slid the 09 GSA down the road. The left side crash bar bent as it should. The crash bar will need re-worked or replaced but it did its job amazing well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Front wheel uphill, if at all possible. I stop in gear, flip out the sidestand to kill the engine, then let off the front brake while holding the clutch in so the bike rolls forward or backward until engine compression is holding it. Then lean it over onto the sidestand. Compression is a poor substitute for a real parking brake but it's better than nothing. If you're really anal I suppose you could carry a small chock (on a string, so you don't forget it!) for extreme situations.

Warm the bike by riding it - start off easy, in 2-5 miles it's up to temperature. TFT GSA even has a handy moveable redline, goes from 5500 when started cold and moves to 9500 as the engine warms.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts