R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there guys ,

i just recently got a gsa1250 and was wondering of anyone knows if it’s normal for the design of the lower crash bars to be closer to the engine valve cover on one side vs the other ?

i haven’t dropped my bike ever and the gap between the crash bar and the valve cover on the right side of the engine is much smaller than the left.

here’s some pictures
Automotive lighting Camera Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Bicycle tire Road surface

·
Survivor
922 Posts
The cylinders are of different distances as measured from front to rear on the motorcycle. This results in the difference you observed in the fit of the crash bars.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Maybe, it's not the bar that's closer. It could be the plastic molding is wider than the other? Or, one cylinder head is bigger than the other🤔 Your bike could be...unbalanced!? I'm kidding, pay attention to the road as there are bigger things to worry about. Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
That is normal, although you would think BMW could get it right.
Something of more concern is, that if the bike goes down on the right side, the valve cover actually sits out further than the engine bars, figure that one out

·
Registered
36 Posts
That is normal, although you would think BMW could get it right.
Something of more concern is, that if the bike goes down on the right side, the valve cover actually sits out further than the engine bars, figure that one out
It’s my understanding that a GSA is more likely to fall to the left. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I accept what you say about more likely to fall to the left, but what’s the point of having an engine bar on the right to protect the valve cover, when it doesn’t.
It wouldn’t have been difficult for BMW just to make the bar go out another 1/2 inch.

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
340 Posts
I accept what you say about more likely to fall to the left, but what’s the point of having an engine bar on the right to protect the valve cover, when it doesn’t.
It wouldn’t have been difficult for BMW just to make the bar go out another 1/2 inch.
Maybe you can mount those plastic protectors for crashbars. They'd make the bars fatter at the area where you put them so it may be enough to protect the valve cover.

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
340 Posts
Somehow I didn't trust BMW with all of the accessories for the bike. I believe they make a great product, GS bikes, but I prefer to go somewhere else for the add-ons. That is why, when I ordered the bike, got it completely base and then ordered all the add-ons from aftermarket manufacturers. That way I had what I wanted and the way I wanted and I even saved few thousands. As for the crashbars, I have SW Motech upper and lower bars and no cylinder covers are even close to the ground in case of the fall.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts