R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
121 Posts

·
Survivor
682 Posts
Setting up a final drive correctly requires significant skill, experience and knowledge. Given the question you are asking I assume you do not have all that is required. That is not intended as an attack on you. There are few, if any, guys on forums that could repair and set-up a final drive. Good luck to you. I suggest you get a pro to work on your FD.

·
Avid Motorcyclist
19 Posts
Setting up a final drive correctly requires significant skill, experience and knowledge. Given the question you are asking I assume you do not have all that is required. That is not intended as an attack on you. There are few, if any, guys on forums that could repair and set-up a final drive. Good luck to you. I suggest you get a pro to work on your FD.
I can concur. Recently had to replace the pinion seal on the final drive as it had a slight weeping of oil.

After consulting the Haynes repair manual and various internet DIY resources it worked out cheaper to strip the final drive and take it to the dealer to replace, than to source the special tool to remove the nut.

This is not to mention the possible cost of me stuffing something up due to the learning curve and the time it would take when compared to the dealer who has done it many times and have the correct tools.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for DIY as I am doing all my maintenance myself, but sometimes it might be wiser to leave some tasks to dealer.

Good luck with the repair.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts