R1200GS Forum banner

Have you had a phone damaged by vibrations when using a handle bar mount?

• YES

• NO

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
95,000 miles on my 2014 GS and no issues using RAM X mount.
I've put about 100,000 miles on my bikes with a RAM Quick-Grip on a 6' Arm always mounted to a Ball on one of the Handle Bar Clamp screws. I've had several Motorola phones and now a Samsung s10e and never had any camera trouble. Is this purely an iPhone deficiency?
IPhone problem because of the internal optical stabilization design.

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
834 Posts
All this discussion is totally moot... Phones should NEVER be on the handlebar but safely in your jacket... In case on an accident, the last thing you want is to be unable to move... and unable to reach your phone because it was ejected...

Get a dedicated GPS, or at least an old phone used just for that (configure it to use the data from the phone in your pocket, no need for a second line). Bonus, you don't have to care about the old phone camera beeing damaged by the vibration.

·
Administrator
1,458 Posts
I just killed 2 phones b4 I figured this out DAMN iphone
Some people have had problems with killing the cameras in their iPhones while having them mounted on the bike. Apparently the vibration overworks the optical stabilization hardware until it dies. Why that hardware is active when you're not using your camera is a reason only known to Apple engineers. Is what is it.

I personally think there's a very valid reason to have my phone in my view on the bars so I use the Quad Lock vibration isolating/charging mount. I've been using that for many miles on and off the pavement with no problems on my iPhone 11 Pro Max and I've recently upgraded to the 14 Pro Max with the QL mount.

I frequently use google maps and an app called MapOut which allows for very detailed background maps and track files. I also use my Nav VI and it's very helpful for having two GPS screens active for the kind of places I'm riding.

In regards to the safety/accident scenario mentioned above, I carry an Inreach Explorer + device in my jacket that I use for tracking and for sending satellite messages when I'm far off the grid/network. I'd much rather have that device on me when I'm laying in a ditch than my phone which may or may not have service.

Now, sort of off topic, the new iPhone 14 Pro has a satellite messaging capability. I'm not ready to bet my life on that new feature or service but it's pretty cool that phones are going to have this feature in the future. My Inreach only costs me about $36/mo for all-in rescue plan and tracking so I'll be carrying that for the foreseeable future.

·
Administrator
1,458 Posts
If anyone is interested, I have a quad lock case for an iPhone 11 Pro Max that I'd be happy to pass along to anyone here for the price of the postage to send it to you. I upgraded recently and while the mounts and all are compatible the case is not with the new phone.

·
Registered
1998 Valkyrie, 2021 Ninja 1000SX, 2005 R1200GS
36 Posts
the failure is typically going to be the OIS in the camera. you're not going to notice when taking stills or if you're standing very still doing video. you'll notice the failure if you're moving while taking video. it may occur gradually over time so you may not notice it right away.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts