R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to add some vibration damping to my handlebars. Any recommendations on handlebar end weights?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes they work.
It’s physics.
But need to find correct size and weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
Think I read somewhere that filling the bars with ball bearings was an inexpensive and effective way to add mass and reduce vibration.
Alternatively, small lead sinkers (fishing accessories) would add even more weight.

I always smiled imagining the scene where someone has their GS on its side, and the bar end off, as the pour a bag of ball bearings into the end of the handlebar. All good until they slip and spill them all over the garage floor. :laugh2:

·
Registered
526 Posts
I had a set from HVMP on my GS and they did eliminate most of the vibes. When I added my Altrider engine guards the rest of the vibes issue went away. I guess as you change the dynamicas of the ride it helps too.
Haven't noticed the vibes as much on my GSA.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I put the HVPM's on a F800GT and it worked well. That bike did have a vibration issue right where I didn't want it, at highway speed.

I get zero vibration on my GS at any speed. Wondering why you do.

It seems the site shows them being used with stock hand guards. They look a little stretched if you ask me and may have issues with aftermarket ones.

Link to pic:
BMW R1200GS

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After a couple of short runs in the twisties and on the freeway. I can say that the handlebar weights do work. Subtle but noticeable. The effect on the "buzziness" at highway speeds is the greatest benefit with less vibration in the hands and a more grounded feel.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Wondering but i already know why, BMW doesn't add these little gadgets to make the bike that much more comfortable/better. :confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I installed the Evotech weights and my hands have not gone numb or had that buzzy feeling since. They work.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I ordered some weights last night and got an email that they were shipped, from UK, this morning. Not sure about the cost, since it was 47.48 in GBP. I hope VISA doesn't charge as much to change money as Paypal.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I got my weights in and they really do make a difference in the vibration coming through the grips. The view through the mirrors is also clearer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts