R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the waterproof version of Alpinestars SMX 6 v2 boots and now wish I bought the vented version. My feet get hot even when it's only 70 degrees out. I am thinking about cutting out the waterproof flap inside the zipper opening and "venting" them myself. Has anyone tried "venting" boots by punching/cutting holes in the leather? If so, did it work? What did you use to cut the holes? I don't really want to ruin $300.00 boots but also don't really want to drop another $270 for a second vented pair.

·
Registered
197 Posts
If you have use for those boots when it's cooler out I suggest you bite the bullet and get a 2nd pair of your liking. Just cutting the gator I doubt will do much.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Punching holes will certainly vent them. I'd suggest getting a leather punch from Tandy leather a block of wood and a mallet and go at it.

·
Super Moderator
1,155 Posts
I'd go with a seperate set of boots too. Rarely do I find any gear that works in all temps.

Keep those for when you install HippoHands on the bike.
😉

·
Super Moderator
1,026 Posts
Hot feet - that's a new one. What kind of socks or base layer pants are you wearing? With some breathable thinner socks (Klim makes some good ones but just plain old Goldtoes work too) my feet are fine in my touring or ADV boots from below freezing to stinking hot weather.

Obviously if you DIY vent them your feet are going to get wet.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I will agree with those that recommend a second pair of boots.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I preffer to use waterproof short boots even in hot summer. When socks goes wet, just change them with another dry couple. After next 50 or 100 km if weather is freaky and start to rain (sometime hard rain) my foots will be dry and warm.
In our geographical place spring/ autumn even forecast is not so true.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My TCX X-Five touring boots with a Gortex lining keep my feet comfortable at temps up to 30C, which is about as hot as it gets here in the UK.

·
Survivor
800 Posts
Punching holes in a $300 pair of boots seems unwise to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use the Alpinestars short vented SMX boots when the weather allows as they are so much cooler. Otherwise, I ride with Alpinestars leather Goretex lined boots as I feel real leather breaths and is more comfortable than synthetic leather boots. I bought a new pair of Sidi Lorica synthetic boots and sold them after a short time as they were too hot in warm weather and too cold in cold weather. YMMV
Buy a cooler pair of summer boots.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I bought the waterproof version of Alpinestars SMX 6 v2 boots and now wish I bought the vented version. My feet get hot even when it's only 70 degrees out. I am thinking about cutting out the waterproof flap inside the zipper opening and "venting" them myself. Has anyone tried "venting" boots by punching/cutting holes in the leather? If so, did it work? What did you use to cut the holes? I don't really want to ruin $300.00 boots but also don't really want to drop another $270 for a second vented pair.
Trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!!! Bite the bullet & buy the vented boots then sell your old none vented ones...
The swap over should be relatively painless dollar wise!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts