R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some have and some have not. Money is the issue. Have you considered an alternative to the GS? Like Vtroms etc. I have found a 2018 NOS Suzuki DL 1000XT ( in yellow) for $8,000. I could save until late fall and hopefully find a 2106 to 2018 GS. Or I could get back to riding by mid summer and get the new Suzuki. Anyone owned one? Was it much of a compromise? ( for me 95% road, land around here is all private) .

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you buy a DL expecting it to be a GS you're going to be unhappy with your decision. If you buy the DL and expect it to be a DL you're going to be well satisfied.

I can get you in into a extremely nice low mileage 2006 R12000GS now for $5,999. Way more bike than even a new DL and less cost. Doesn't need anything but a new rider.

The Hexheads GS's are around 40lbs lighter than the Cam/Water heads GS's and still easy and able to service at home with common tools.

Located in Chambersburg PA. Harrisburg International is 50 minutes away or Hagerstown regional is 20 minutes away f you wanted to do a fly-n-ride. I can also work with your shipper.

G1.jpg
G2.jpg
G3.jpg
G4.jpg
G5.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm very happy with my 2007 GS, but if I was buying new it would be a Vstrom. I've always liked Suzuki...between the no frills, reliability and price point it suits me...kinda like a 2007 GSA I guess.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you PerazziMx14. That is a nice offer. After all the miles I put on an identical bike, I want to try the LC 1200.

BTW, what will you replace the 2006 GS with?

I really want the 1250. It is so good. DO NOT make the mistake I did and ride one. OMG, its a good thing the devil was to busy making deals with others. I would have been hard pressed to say no!

That all said, maybe the question should have been: Who has bought a GS and wished they bought a Vstrom & visa-versa. SERIOUSLY, if I could afford both that would be great. Also if chickens had teeth.............

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm very happy with my 2007 GS, but if I was buying new it would be a Vstrom. I've always liked Suzuki...between the no frills, reliability and price point it suits me...kinda like a 2007 GSA I guess.

Would you care to elaborate? One thing I have to consider is the closest dealer for BMW is 120 miles. I have no idea if they are any good. And that is the rub. Part of my life's work was as Auto shop owner/ mechanic. Mostly the easy stuff. No overhauls on motors or transmissions. I fully realize that true mechanical skills and caring are few and far between. I have no doubt I could do the maintenance on either. And that is a "must, " of course, considering the alternative. But other than the maintenance, to effect repair and trouble shooting it would not be fun to get a bike to a city that far.
I guess it is like others have said. If you do not expect the Vstrom to be a GS, things would be ok.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thank you PerazziMx14. That is a nice offer. After all the miles I put on an identical bike, I want to try the LC 1200.

BTW, what will you replace the 2006 GS with?

I really want the 1250. It is so good. DO NOT make the mistake I did and ride one. OMG, its a good thing the devil was to busy making deals with others. I would have been hard pressed to say no!

That all said, maybe the question should have been: Who has bought a GS and wished they bought a Vstrom & visa-versa. SERIOUSLY, if I could afford both that would be great. Also if chickens had teeth.............
I have ridden the new 1250 LC also the F700, 800GS and XR900. None of them had me reaching for my wallet.

Having had a DL (albeit a 650) prior to the 2006 R1200GS I do not regret ever selling it. In fact I bought 2 more R1200GS a 2005 and 2007.

GS2.jpg

·
Registered
297 Posts
Would you care to elaborate? One thing I have to consider is the closest dealer for BMW is 120 miles. I have no idea if they are any good. And that is the rub. Part of my life's work was as Auto shop owner/ mechanic. Mostly the easy stuff. No overhauls on motors or transmissions. I fully realize that true mechanical skills and caring are few and far between. I have no doubt I could do the maintenance on either. And that is a "must, " of course, considering the alternative. But other than the maintenance, to effect repair and trouble shooting it would not be fun to get a bike to a city that far.
I guess it is like others have said. If you do not expect the Vstrom to be a GS, things would be ok.
For me, my local BMW dealer is 30 miles further away and awful compared to my Suzuki dealer that I have had great experiences with.

While the 1050 Strom is new, I trust the electrics far more than BMW. I know the stories of electrical issues may be one-offs...but... <step up to soapbox>the fact many dealers can't figure out how the hell to diagnose them scares me a lot especially out of warranty. I can forgive failures more than the inability of a dealer to fix them. Put the damn R1800 boondoggle budget on fixing reliability. <step down from soapbox>

The 1250 is no doubt a dream when it works, but frightening when it doesn't. I may be too biased by a riding buddy whose 2018 GSA was bought back after numerous repair attempts and leaving him stranded several times.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts