R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Family estate finally closed and the funds dispersed and immediately picked up an '08 1200gs with 19k in clean condition. As I've perused the web for the past two years waiting and drooling I've run across both the Haynes and Clymer manuals. I'm semi-literate around machinery, can turn a wrench and know the difference between a Torx and a Philips head but that's about it. I prefer simple and don't want to read the manual from the front to understand something buried half way in. I don't mind having to reference from section to section. Wanna add a 2nd aux power outlet and just want to look in an index and find the "how-to". So, which is closer to an "Idiot's Guide" format than a tech manual from Microsoft? Other questions rattling around my mind: Can-bus, what is it and do I want one? Any hidden issues with the '08 - '09 models? Manual shows there was a brake recall which was handled, anything else I should look for or be aware of?
Thanks, appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Command Area Network - Bus bar. You have one already, it's the way the wiring loom works. It's lighter than a normal loom.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Oh, and although I have a 2010 twin cam, I can't help thinking that the 08/09may have been the best ever GS. No doubt someone will disagree!

·
Registered
64 Posts
From Planet Dirt

Haynes .....but has nothing against Clymer......found on ebay a 2011 BMW Motorrad R models dvd 7th edition part # 01597721689 for US $ 20 and I love it...you find in there step by step how to do almost everything you can do in your bike:)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Haynes VS Clymer

All I have been able to find are the DVD and a hard cover BMW manual, Ebay, (which isn't much good, IMHO). I like Clymer Manuals best, as the one I had on a previous model was detailed, and I could follow their well-written instructions.
Good luck on your new bike! You will love it.

But, I have been unable to find Haynes Manual on my 2006 GSA.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've got the Haynes, got enough information to perform most basic maintenance. Also have a DVD that I purchased on ebay, also has some good information as well.
If you can read, you can do this stuff. Just be patient, don't force anything, continue research until you understand what to do, and go for it.
In my opinion, the Haynes is fine. I've used Clymers too, Either one will suffice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts