R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next week on Tuesday 5/4, I will head from Boulder CO, to Memphis TN to visit my daughter. From Memphis I'll head over to Nashville and then down the Natchez Trace Parkway to Jackson Miss and then back up. Hoping to see Lake of the Ozarks on the way back.

I'm looking for advice of things to see and do. I've never been in this part of the country and looking forward to seeing it. I will be camping and some hotels, keeping a loose schedule.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,012 Posts
If you are looping South, this is worth a look. I was there in college, hope to do it sometime this year. Most think of Oklahoma as flat and boring but the topo map tells the story.

20210501_131314.jpg

Don't have a lot of advice for Kansas and Western OK...when I lived in Wichita used to ride to the Salt Plains National Wildlife Refuge. If you are into history the last standing Sod House in OK was near there, my wife was not impressed.
:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are looping South, this is worth a look. I was there in college, hope to do it sometime this year. Most think of Oklahoma as flat and boring but the topo map tells the story.

View attachment 29730

Don't have a lot of advice for Kansas and Western OK...when I lived in Wichita used to ride to the Salt Plains National Wildlife Refuge. If you are into history the last standing Sod House in OK was near there, my wife was not impressed.
:)
Thanks, that looks like a nice ride, I am going to try to catch it on my way back north.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Personally, I would skip Lake of The Ozarks unless you are meeting someone.

The Natchez trace is a nice scenic road. Keep in mind it 45 MPH and the smooth tarmac and nice sweeping curves will make you want to go faster, watch your speed.

The town to Natchez is beautiful. Spend time there. A great place to stay is the Natchez Grand about $100 a night. It is right in the center of downtown. Great places to eat within short walks. Check out Under the Hill District for dinner and drinks.

If you like history, Vicksburg is a fantastic stop and take in the battlefield. Downtown is also worth seeing. If interested in the tug boats on the Mississippi check out the museum: Vicksburg District > Missions > Recreation > Jesse Brent Lower Mississippi River Museum There is a tug you can explore.

From Natches or Vicksburg, either 1. follow the Mississippi River North to Memphis, from Memphis go towards Mammoth Springs, Arkansas. From Mammoth Springs there are a number of pretty roads to get you to the Lake of the Ozarks (if you are set on visiting). From Mammoth Springs, you can also go west towards Bull Shoals and Table Rock Lake. or 2. Go across Louisiana to the town of Natchitoches, LA. That town is worth visiting, it is the oldest town in the Louisiana Purchase. From Nachitoches, follow the Red River along the TX OK border and then work your way home.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally, I would skip Lake of The Ozarks unless you are meeting someone.

The Natchez trace is a nice scenic road. Keep in mind it 45 MPH and the smooth tarmac and nice sweeping curves will make you want to go faster, watch your speed.

The town to Natchez is beautiful. Spend time there. A great place to stay is the Natchez Grand about $100 a night. It is right in the center of downtown. Great places to eat within short walks. Check out Under the Hill District for dinner and drinks.

If you like history, Vicksburg is a fantastic stop and take in the battlefield. Downtown is also worth seeing. If interested in the tug boats on the Mississippi check out the museum: Vicksburg District > Missions > Recreation > Jesse Brent Lower Mississippi River Museum There is a tug you can explore.

From Natches or Vicksburg, either 1. follow the Mississippi River North to Memphis, from Memphis go towards Mammoth Springs, Arkansas. From Mammoth Springs there are a number of pretty roads to get you to the Lake of the Ozarks (if you are set on visiting). From Mammoth Springs, you can also go west towards Bull Shoals and Table Rock Lake. or 2. Go across Louisiana to the town of Natchitoches, LA. That town is worth visiting, it is the oldest town in the Louisiana Purchase. From Nachitoches, follow the Red River along the TX OK border and then work your way home.
Thanks for all the info. Hopefully I can get some of this in, I'll let you know what I get to ride and see. I think I'll take your advice and skip Lake of the Ozarks, I can't see an easy way to fit it in. It looks like Vicksburg and Nachitoches should fit in easily though. Thanks again.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you plan on riding the Trace from Nashville to Jackson you should continue on down to Natchez MS. If you do I would recommend getting off the Trace at the HWY. 18 exit to Hwy 61 south into Port Gibson the town General Grant called the town too pretty to burn. As you are coming into Port Gibson there is a church with a golden finger pointing to the sky, just past it take a right on Carroll St. then a left on Rodney Road. Rodney Road is a great little road. Several miles down you will see the Winsor Ruins on your left. Its worth a stop to see. Just past Alcorn State University you will hit Hwy 552 that will take you back to Hwy 61 south and about a mile down 61 is Lorman and the Old Country Store with the best fried chicken if you are there around lunch.
Natchez is an interesting town. It is full of beautiful homes built by the Europeans in the 1800's that were shipping cotton back across the sea. Before the war of northern aggression half of all the millionaire in the country lived in Natchez. I like Natchez much more than Vicksburg and you can take Hwy 61 back to Vicksburg on you way home. I would recommend going back through Arkansas to the town of Mena and taking Skyline Dr. to Queen Wilhelmina State Park. There is a lodge there and a restaurant. From there take the Talimena Scenic Dr. into Oklahoma. This is a nice ride through the southern mountains of Arkansas and Oklahoma.
Enjoy you trip . Bring Rain gear , it's spring time in the south.

·
Super Moderator
946 Posts
I have a little on the Natchez Trace in my ride report here:

I loved the relaxing ride down the Trace. In two days we didn't see another 6 cars and only one park ranger on the entire 440 miles. It's not a road for apex strafing hoons (of which I am one) like the Blue Ride Parkway but if you surrender to a relaxing rolling great road through some beautiful country you'll enjoy it. Camping opportunities both on and just off the parkway. The park camping was closed in March when we went through there but may be open now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts