R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve read that I need to protect my headlight 2018 GSA and radiator with guards against rocks, etc. I’ve looked at a few options, but am leery of spending a bundle. Any happy people out there who have found something that works well, is easy to install and comes with a fair price tag? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am also interested in the same question. If you don't get any responses you might pose the same question on advrider forum

·
Registered
178 Posts
440,000 Kms and I have never had a broken headlight.....probably just jinxed myself

Unless you're riding behind your buddy who's spitting stones at you I wouldn't worry about it. All of them will reduce you lighting output. If it's plexiglass and it's dirty on the headlight side, or a wire mesh blocking some of the light....might be negligible, but it will.

I like the idea of the gutter guard....cheap. I haven't done it for my 2018 Adv as I'm always solo so there is little chance of stones being thrown at the rad.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I’ve read that I need to protect my headlight 2018 GSA and radiator with guards against rocks, etc. I’ve looked at a few options, but am leery of spending a bundle. Any happy people out there who have found something that works well, is easy to install and comes with a fair price tag? Thanks in advance!
Using the original BMW oem radiator guards.....couldnt be happier and they cost less than $50

Radiator protective grille, left # 46 63 8 556 647

Radiator protective grille, right # 46 63 8 556 648

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Re headlight and radiator guards

Thanks for the input. Looks like the headlight should be left unprotected. I thought that it’s pretty expensive to replace and it does have what looks like a protective cover on the stock 2018 model I have...rawhyde told me to get a cover for the light prior to bringing the bike to the 2 day class

·
Registered
8 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
782 Posts
my vote, and action, is yes on both of the protectors. Cheap safety and wallet insurance.

search on this site for radiator guards and you'll find VERY inexpensive options, gutter guards, car grills, DIY, etc.
I have a Cee Bailey guard on my headlight. They are not made anymore, but ebay may be your friend. A friend, on a 2015 gs, is on his second as his first was shattered by a rock. That headlamp assembly is, what, $1500?
You don't have to be off road for a car or truck to throw a missile in your direction, right?

that LED is pretty bright, I would not worry about decreased illumination because of a headlight protector. If a rock kills your headlight you'd have no illumination

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fit only 2019 GSA

Using the original BMW oem radiator guards.....couldnt be happier and they cost less than $50

Radiator protective grille, left # 46 63 8 556 647

Radiator protective grille, right # 46 63 8 556 648
BMW says these radiator guards only fit the 1250 GSA

·
Registered
649 Posts
I ride a lot off road and agree with all the advice here that it's worth spending some money to protect the headlight. I've used the Touratech guard for the last 3 years and it's don't the job. It's also very easy to remove with no tools - just pull it off out of the four corner rubber grommets that secure it. That makes it really easy to clean the light at a gas stop if needs be. I also used their protector on my KLR 650 and it saved that light many times.

·
Registered
69 Posts
headlight guard

Oh man I cannot remember where I saw it but there is a clear headlight guard that pops on to the fr of the headlamp........$78

Company name starts with a T....Somebody help me please!!:crying:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts