R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well, that's exactly what I am saying...using the "baffle" style plugs protects your hearing and allows music to be heard, at least in my case, and that is what you are seeking, right? The foam plugs did not allow it. The noise reduction with the baffle style is still in the mid 20s vs 32/33 for the foam plugs--and that's the highest extant afaik.

For me it was worth the $10 chance I took on them, ymmv, but for me it was all the difference. (Again, credit to JetSpeed for the suggestion)
I'm definitely going to be looking for these. For most of my riding around town on errands, I don't wear the Sensaphonics and it would be still nice to know if someone calls me. When I got the 30K Sena, I put the speakers in the one of my helmets for these occasions and these ear plugs may be just what I was looking for to make that work for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think this should be pinned. This is a very important post and more riders should be able to read this.

I use custom filtered earplugs like THIS from Big Ear but it's just because I prefer these kind of earplugs. All I can say to other riders is that it doesn't really matter if what you're using is cheap or expensive...just take care of your ears. Wear whatever works for you.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Earplugs

I have used earplugs since 1992 when I bought an R100R. I even use them when cutting grass and other high decibel activities.
I have used the custom molded plugs for years and have been happy with them. Then a few years ago, I think it was one of
the "new products" in MCN magazine, I saw NoNoise earplugs. They are the the "baffle style" but add a ceramic cylinder in
the center that has a hole drilled in it's center. That hole is sized to allow specific wavelengths through and not others.
It allows me to better things like speech while filtering out nasty noise like the wind. Been very happy with them. Can't remember
who I got them from.Twisted Throttle or one of the other online retailers.

Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can't say enough good about S-Plugs. $129.95 + tax and shipping.
https://www.plugup.com/best_and_most_comfortable_stereo_earplug_earbuds_p/s%2022-3.5-4.5.htm
Been using them for 6 years on both the Goldwing and the GS. I have 2 Sena 20s Bluetooth Intercom units and there is a 3mm jack in the unit. It makes it super-easy to use S-Plugs. I would not go more than an hour or two without them. When my ears get tired of having them in, I switch to 3M foam earplugs.
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Individually-Wrapped-Uncorded-Reduction/dp/B01IU9ZDVI/ref=sr_1_14?crid=3UF9FAZGKKFWB&keywords=3m+foam+ear+plugs&qid=1568419562&sprefix=3m+foam+ear%2Caps%2C159&sr=8-14
There is a difference in cheap foam earplugs, I have found.

BTW, I can hear Intercom and music reasonably well with the Sena helmet speakers wearing foam earplugs. I have a Shoei Neotec flip-face helmet that fits well but I am always surprised at how loud it is without hearing protection, and it's one of the better-rated helmets for sound attenuation!

Thanks to the OP for such an important message!

David

·
Registered
765 Posts
just an addendum to my previous post from last year.

I am now using the 33db foam plugs. Sena and Garmin did an update a few months ago, and now I can hear the bluetooth music, directions, etc through the foam plugs, usually just fine, so that is what I now use. For me they are more comfortable than the baffles. No need to spend more than a few dollars on this, I think, for good protection.
Anything is better than nothing

21 - 26 of 26 Posts