R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of freaked out reading the various BMW 1250 gsa 600 mile posts about dealerships! You all seem to know the how to part! Is that something I can learn how to do? Minimize cost and problems...?
Thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I can't speak to a 2020 but I've done all 36,000 mile service on my 2007 GSA. Today need to reinstall ABS pump I had sent.off to get motor repaired on. I'm not a super mechanical guy but with patience and YouTube can be done.

Fluid changes (engine oil, gearbox oil, final drive) are quite easy. Brake bleed does require a special tool like GS-911.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Kind of freaked out reading the various BMW 1250 gsa 600 mile posts about dealerships! You all seem to know the how to part! Is that something I can learn how to do? Minimize cost and problems...?
Thanks!
For every negative post about a dealer there are hundreds if not thousands of happy customers. We, as people, generally post negative items before we post positive items. Best thing you can do is research the dealer you're using and form your own opinions.

The down side to these BMW's is without expensive tools you cannot reset the service reminder. Sure you can do your own oil change, but the service light will remain on. I did buy a GS 911 because I'll do the majority of my own maintenance. 3 oil changes and I have paid for the tool.

Generally speaking all oil changes are the same. Remove the fill cap, remove the drain plug and oil filter then reverse.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Go to this link, buy the appropriate DVD and download the torque and tool sheets. He is a member of this and several other forums and a wealth of knowledge. I do all of my own maintenance on my bike and learned most of it here.

JVB Productions

Make sure you get quality tools, they really are worth the investment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts