R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all and thanks for the add.

I am a owner of a new-to-me 2016 GSA and truly enjoy riding. I have ridden on and off for 30+ years but just recently started riding again. Couldn’t have been happier when my wife said she wanted to learn how to ride last year. After teaching her how to ride and going through 4 bikes to find the right one for her, we are all set.

I look forward to using the knowledge and experience from this forum in the near future. Thanks again for the add.

·
Super Moderator
967 Posts
Welcome. So what bikes did your wife try out, and what did you land on?

On an all gravel group ride last year we had one lady join us on a VanVan 200. She was shorter in stature and I was impressed how well she kept up. Looked to be a great little starter bike but not one for interstate travel! Another young lady had a really clean older Kawasaki Super Sherpa 250. Always great to see the ladies riding.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome. So what bikes did your wife try out, and what did you land on?

On an all gravel group ride last year we had one lady join us on a VanVan 200. She was shorter in stature and I was impressed how well she kept up. Looked to be a great little starter bike but not one for interstate travel! Another young lady had a really clean older Kawasaki Super Sherpa 250. Always great to see the ladies riding.
Thank you. I trained her on a Suzuki TU 250x. I bought her a triumph Tiger 800 low but she found it to be very top heavy. Mind you my wife is only 4’11” And maybe 105 soaking wet. The center of gravity was just to high for her to manage. She really loved the look of the sportster so we bought her one. Weighed more than the Tiger by a lot but the cg was way lower and easier for her to manage. Well, 2 months passed and I got tired of stopping every 100 miles for her to get gas so we landed on a heritage softail. she loves it and that is all that matters to me.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Welcome, and congrats.

Some local friends and I have been doing some day and overnight rides. Our next one will be to the Barber Museum in your state. What else should we see while there?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome, and congrats.

Some local friends and I have been doing some day and overnight rides. Our next one will be to the Barber Museum in your state. What else should we see while there?
Hi Dan,
Of course Barber Motorsports should be a highlight while in Birmingham but also check out the Vulcan statue. He is the world’s largest cast iron statue created in 1904. Not sure where else in the state you will be traveling but AL has some great caves from Desoto Caverns to Cathedral Caverns as well as some great beaches.
If you narrow down some of your route I will be glad to give some stopping points along the way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts