R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

After 2 new scooters ( first one 125cc and then one 300cc - both Honda ) used to go to the office ( about 50 kms in total ) and working from home the last year and half, I decided to upgrade to a Motorcycle.

Tried a few from friends, made some test drives, rented two.

Eventually decided to go the comfortable and easy way and bought a 2011 ( build December 2010 ) R1200 GS 30 years from a private seller.

No plans for big trips, it is being used as a regular city motorcycle.

Although the GS is my first bike ( I am 48 years old, bought the first Honda 125 in 2016 ) I already have at my house in Lisbon an old BMW R1100 R from 1995 from a friend.

That sweet 1100 was "my first motorcycle".
I am not the owner, but it has been under my care for about 2 years.
I really like it but it is not mine.

So.. the acquisition of the GS fixed that.
They are easy and light in town, the boxers have personality.
I guess nobody falls in love with these bikes, but they are like a good friend !:)

Came here to read and learn something.

Thank you

And the old 1100 R with the loud exhaust

( took the vario cases from the GS, my helmet doesnt fit in any of the 3 )

Have a good weekend

·
Registered
33 Posts
Good looking bike and beautiful country to ride. I was just looking at a trip there next February and renting a BMW.

We were there 3 years ago and only got a quick glimpse of what Portugal has to offer.

I recently picked up a 2010 1200 GS and love every minute I’m on it. Enjoy the new-ish ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Welcome to the forum, nice bikes you have there!
Good find on 30Years GS version, looks smart!
Did you buy it privately or from bike garage? What mileage does it have?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good looking bike and beautiful country to ride. I was just looking at a trip there next February and renting a BMW.

We were there 3 years ago and only got a quick glimpse of what Portugal has to offer.

I recently picked up a 2010 1300 GS and love every minute I’m on it. Enjoy the new-ish ride.

Thank you, you are very kind.
We are currently in the "post pandemic opening " but we are not quite there yet.
But, if you return in 2022, i am sure your experience will be closer to the one that you had before.

The roads are still friendly ( and our quality of tarmac is quite good as i am sure you noticed ) , but in towns we are seeing the growth of the number of speed radars.
In Lisbon we will get another 21 of the new fancy ones that see everything :) :)

If you decide to come, please let me know which places are on your plans.

It is strange, but I do need of advice in motorcycle roads in my own country !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum, nice bikes you have there!
Good find on 30Years GS version, looks smart!
Did you buy it privately or from bike garage? What mileage does it have?
Thank you !

It was a private seller in an Ad in our... kind of local Portuguese ebay.. it is a website called "OLX".

It has 30000 km, the build date in Germany, Berlin is December 2010 and was registered ( a license plate was assigned for road use ) in Portugal in March 2011.

It cost me 11150 euros. It was not the cheapest k25 available, nor the most expensive.

It seems ok.. engine and electronics are ok, a bit clunky on the transmission, but the mechanic rode it and says nothing broken.
On the beginning of December, it will go and be checked and to do the maintenance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome, Frazaorb! Nice decision on the 2011 R1200GS. Clunky transmission is a bit of a signature on these boxer engines. Especially if you refer to shifting into 2nd and 3rd gear. Read up more on preloading the shift lever and shifting higher up on rpm would help. I shift mine at 5500 to 6000 rpm. Enjoy the pony!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I too have found that rapping up the rpm’s helps the shift feel. Each gear has a lot of room to rev before shifting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good Morning !

I like the way you think ! :) More rpms !!

The box / transmission are ok - having driven the 1250 and having at home the 1100 they are all quite the same .. a bit agricultural .. a bit clunky , but no problem with that. It kind of suits it :)

I test drove some new motorcycles, with boxes smooth as silk so i have those references in my head.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello Everyone

This weekend finally had the day to spend a few hours getting to know GS.

Drove south and went on slow curvy roads to some of the beaches and then returned Lisbon on the highway. Maybe 120 / 150 kms. with all the stops and fast lunch, about 5 hours.

Third seems good for all slow medium traffic, sixth is strong and flexible. It will do 200 kms/h.
I am sure of it..:cool:

And this is her normal use. In town.

Central Lisbon on a sunday morning. Calm and peaceful.

During the week, everybody goes nuts though !:)

Stay safe out there and have fun !

·
Registered
33 Posts
Good ride down the beaches, they are beautiful in Portugal. I have found 3rd gear to be a good all around gear too. I started watching my rpms and noticed I have a lot of room in 3rd. Come into curves coasting in 3rd, lean into it and throttle out. 6th is my highway gear.

·
Registered
2014 GSA
2 Posts
Hi
Thank you, you are very kind.
We are currently in the "post pandemic opening " but we are not quite there yet.
But, if you return in 2022, i am sure your experience will be closer to the one that you had before.

The roads are still friendly ( and our quality of tarmac is quite good as i am sure you noticed ) , but in towns we are seeing the growth of the number of speed radars.
In Lisbon we will get another 21 of the new fancy ones that see everything :) :)

If you decide to come, please let me know which places are on your plans.

It is strange, but I do need of advice in motorcycle roads in my own country !
Hi Frazao. Try the N5 - Alcácer- Torrão, or Mértola -VRSA … curvy and not many cars . Up north N222 or N313

1 - 13 of 13 Posts