R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi peeps, finally pulled the trigger on a R1200GS Adventure (2009) just before Christmas last year and so far so good - it's good fun and despite the cold, I've managed to put over 1k miles since. Had to get some grip buddies and a palm rest pretty sharpish and bar risers are next on the shopping list... All hints, tips and suggestions greatly appreciated :smile2:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Welcome! 2009 is a good vintage, I have a 2007 GS Adventure. Lots and lots of forum threads here to answer questions.

You've hit on one of the first items of comfort. Bar risers and if you find it is needed, aftermarket seat. Great part of an older machine is many can be found second hand. I bought a Corbin seat with backrest on eBay here in the states for $170...was $425 new.

You didn't list miles/km but lots of great maintenance info here too. Lots of it you can do yourself with basic tools and if you need it, the GS-911 diag tool.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seat and windscreen

Nice one - yeah I forgot about that seat - I went for the high seat which from a height perspective is great but comfortwise is woeful... I'm considering getting it reupholstered with memory foam - there's a firm down in Kent that will do the job for a "reasonable" amount of money... I have another major trip to Scotland coming up and I'll end up wearing cycling shorts otherwise!!

Also I have found that I get a little buffeting from wind at motorway speeds - not sure if I want to replace the screen or get one of those clip-on/bolt-on spoilers...

Finally GS-911 tool would be nice - I already have a BMW programming tool for a car so I might try getting a conversion cable and seeing if I can get it to work first...

Currently I'm on 37k miles (and change) - it's got a partial service history and was serviced by the shop before I got it but it would be nice to know what is in store - 40k sounds like a good time to get a major service...

·
Registered
102 Posts
I found the stock seat to be rubbish...too soft and seemed to push me toward the tank. Corbin is quite hard but suits me ok. Recovering with new foam is a good choice.

36,000 is the normal service interval. Info online on items to do that, pretty straightforward and can be done in full afternoon. Spark plug replacement requires a thin walled socket...valve adjustment not bad on boxer (easy access!). Probably want to pull driveshaft and lubricate splines given your mileage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I too suffered from screen buffeting/noise and was loathe to go down the barn door route to solve the problem.
I fitted a spoiler and it did make difference but not good enough. I finished taking 30mm from the standard screen and moving it to it's lower setting and re-fixing the spoiler, which I adjusted until the buffeting/noise was at a minimum.
I am 6'2" and over the years with various bikes and screens I have consistently found a lower screen works best for me but everyone is different. There is a trade off between riding comfort and weather protection which only the individual can decide upon.

The side deflectors shown in the pic do make a difference.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts