R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new member to the forum. I have been riding a 2015 R1200GSA for the past few years. I really enjoy it. I've been watching reviews on the 2019 GSA and I'm interested, but reluctant to jump on board for the first new motor year. Any thoughts?

·
Super Awesom Person
437 Posts
Welcome. I wouldn't hesitate to get the first year GS with the new motor. I bought the first year K1600GT back in 2011 and rode it 4 years with only one small issue covered under warinty. That was the first 6 BMW ever made. The boxer 1250 is just an improved version of an engine they have made for years. I say Go get one and just make sure it has everything you want. If you want to ease your mind get the extended warinty.

·
Registered
142 Posts
welcome

Hi and welcome to the forum. Personally I would leave it a year before buying a new model. A friend of mine, who writes bike reviews, was given a R1250GS for a weekend to try and it suffered a total electrical failure. If BMW can't get it right for a reviewer what chance does a regular customer have?

·
Super Awesom Person
437 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. Personally I would leave it a year before buying a new model. A friend of mine, who writes bike reviews, was given a R1250GS for a weekend to try and it suffered a total electrical failure. If BMW can't get it right for a reviewer what chance does a regular customer have?
Sometimes the early reviewers get a pre-production model.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello my name is Lindsay from Australia

I own from new a 2015 GS1200 with 30k kms and was also interested in the new 1250 however after test riding one was left disappointed.
The throttle response even in Dynamic mode was too soft & felt like Road mode on my bike.
I struggled to feel any difference in power and torque over my bike.
The engine was quiet and smoother and in my opinion has lost some character .
The gear box and quick shifter are smoother which is a welcome improvement.
The seat was harder and has lost some comfort.
The 2 bmw salesman I was dealing with were saying how much better the new bike is over my bike but when I enquired if they had ridden one they admitted they hadn't. The 15k Aus dollars change over they offered me was also hard to take.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I own from new a 2015 GS1200 with 30k kms and was also interested in the new 1250 however after test riding one was left disappointed.
The throttle response even in Dynamic mode was too soft & felt like Road mode on my bike.
I struggled to feel any difference in power and torque over my bike.
The engine was quiet and smoother and in my opinion has lost some character .
The gear box and quick shifter are smoother which is a welcome improvement.
The seat was harder and has lost some comfort.
The 2 bmw salesman I was dealing with were saying how much better the new bike is over my bike but when I enquired if they had ridden one they admitted they hadn't. The 15k Aus dollars change over they offered me was also hard to take.
I'm still on the fence about what next! If I do get another GS it would be a 2018 with all the updates except the engine or at over 100 lb. less, the KTM 790 Adventure. Love the GS, but the weight off road in tricky situations is scary!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts