R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two helmets with me on my trips and wondering what people like to use to keep the helmets locked to the bike? I've seen what they sell online but am interested what people like and don't like.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
What I was thinking of, was to put the helmets on the mirrors and lock them somehow. That would ensure open side down and they should be stable.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I open the pannier toss in the D-ring from the helmet then close and lock the pannier......Dun!

Most of the time I just set the helmet between the bars.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Good idea! Oh wait... the panniers are not on the bike.:eek:
For me if a bike has panniers 99.9% of the time they are on it. Having the panniers sitting on a shelf in the garage doesn't do me any good when out and about. Kind of like condoms sitting on the drug store shelf. Good idea and you know where they but when you need them them and they are safely tucked away on a shelf they do you no good.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I typically set the helmet on the bars running the mirror through it and lock it on with one of these. Can strap it in a number of locations (to luggage, grab bars etc). I don't even set the combination, it's simply there as a deterrent. I it use when making pit stops but always bring the helmet in with me overnight. Works great:

·
2019 R1250 GSA
184 Posts
I use a Kryptonite Retractable Lock.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I typically set the helmet on the bars running the mirror through it and lock it on with one of these. Can strap it in a number of locations (to luggage, trap bars etc). I don't even set the combination, it's simply there as a deterrent. I use when making pit stops but always bring the helmet in with me overnight. Works great:

I think we have a possible winner!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For me if a bike has panniers 99.9% of the time they are on it. Having the panniers sitting on a shelf in the garage doesn't do me any good when out and about. Kind of like condoms sitting on the drug store shelf. Good idea and you know where they but when you need them them and they are safely tucked away on a shelf they do you no good.
Yea, most of my days are riding with a tank bag. I work 3 miles from home and don't really need them for anything less a I'm going on a trip. Although I was away this weekend and it would have been nice to stuff my coat in one of the panniers... I may have to rethink just leaving them on permanently.

·
Premium Member
2016 R1200GS
8 Posts
I have two helmets with me on my trips and wondering what people like to use to keep the helmets locked to the bike? I've seen what they sell online but am interested what people like and don't like.
LidLox.com

·
Registered
33 Posts
Interesting... And they just hang on the ground? What if it rains? Will you helmet fill up with water? The website doesn't show how it looks with the helmets attached.
I've used the Helmet Guardian on several bikes including the R1200GS. The helmets don't touch the ground but would collect water if it rained. I did have one bike - I think it was an FJR1300 where if you weren't careful, the helmet would touch a hot muffler but not a problem on the GS

·
Registered
1 Posts
What I was thinking of, was to put the helmets on the mirrors and lock them somehow. That would ensure open side down and they should be stable.
Just use a good padlock and lock them to the mirror stalk. Opportunist thieves don't carry tool kits. Never lost a helmet doing it this way.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts