R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
What I was thinking of, was to put the helmets on the mirrors and lock them somehow. That would ensure open side down and they should be stable.
Me too. I hang the helmet over the mirror, open-end down to keep out the rain. I use a simple cable-type luggage lock that I got from REI. It cost about $13.00 or less. One end of it is locked around the mirror and the other end is for the D-ring. Most of the time, I never lock it, but just insert the end of the cable into its receptacle. (A thief is not going to spend a lot of time messing about with the helmet. He would grab it and run; except with the D-ring locked, it won't come off easily. This is the system I use if I"m in a public place for just an hour or so. Overnight, I'd probably never leave the helmet hung over the mirror, even if it was locked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Almost bought one of those license plate locks, seemed like a good idea. But then remembered what my first motorcycle shop owner told me 50 yrs ago... "if you hang it upside down some drunk Harley guy will come along and piss in it for you". Of course that would never happen(?) but the image stuck with me. I usually hang my helmet on a passenger peg from the back of the helmet so the opening points down and on whichever side is shaded by the bike. I carry a lock cable long enough for the helmet, jacket and pants but rarely use it depending on circumstance. Never lost a helmet or jacket (yet), riding in 42 states and 15 countries. Could happen and that would suck but I would deal with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I ended up finding an old snowboard lock... I'll use that for now and when I get a second helmet I'll buy another. All good replies...

21 - 23 of 23 Posts