R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only had it for a couple of months, but have had no issues except when I went out earlier and it didn't start. Pressed the button and nothing turns. I attached jump leads and still nothing, I charged the battery and nothing turns. There is a slight click from under the seat, but it is not a solenoid kicking in, it just sounds like quiet relay click. Battery measures at 12.9v for reference, though I don't know how old it is.

Any suggestions for what could be wrong are welcomed!

Iain

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
780 Posts
Does the "dashboar" turns on ?
Can you switch the high beam on ?
Could you measure the battery voltage when pressing the starter button and post the reading here ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
If the dash doesn't light up it is most likely the ignition module.
The key , locks and unlocks steering lock also turns a small plastic cam in the ignition module. there are 2 wires into the module and bridging these wire will light up dash but won't allow starter to crank.
Poping open the module will revel 2 limit switches with 3 wires coming out to the plug.
1 of these wire has corroded (copper cancer) and has lost contact with the terminal plug. I have replace the offending wire and everthing worked again. Where the wire connects to the limit switch is very small contact area 1mm by 2mm brass. the replacment wire can be soldered to this with care .
Access to the module is easy without removing anything else.

No photos sorry didn't take any.

Steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does the "dashboar" turns on ?
Can you switch the high beam on ?
Could you measure the battery voltage when pressing the starter button and post the reading here ?

Hi

Dash comes on as normal. High beams work.
Just checked voltage again and it was 12.74v when off and dropped to 12.4v when I turned the ignition on and 12.38v when I press the starter, so not really any change.

Thanks for getting back to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Only had it for a couple of months, but have had no issues except when I went out earlier and it didn't start. Pressed the button and nothing turns. I attached jump leads and still nothing, I charged the battery and nothing turns. There is a slight click from under the seat, but it is not a solenoid kicking in, it just sounds like quiet relay click. Battery measures at 12.9v for reference, though I don't know how old it is.

Any suggestions for what could be wrong are welcomed!

Iain
Hi IAM. This may be a silly suggestion, but have you checked that the Kill switch on the RHS switch block is in the on or run position.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fixed it!

Thank you for your suggestions. Turns out, the box under the tray where you store the toolkit had filled up with water and one of the connectors had come out. There is a drain hole, but it had been blocked up with unknown blue sludge - the heavy rain we've had recently must have topped it up and the whole relay was under water. I drilled a new hole to get the sludge and water out, cleaned it up and re-fitted the wire and it's working again. Picture included of the mess (after emptying but before cleaning).

Motor vehicle Trunk Automotive exterior Bag Bumper

1 - 7 of 7 Posts