R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I picked up this ‘05 R1200GS used and am still discovering what’s factory optional vs what’s aftermarket.

Can y’all help me identify this windshield setup? It looks like BMW factory GS windshield, but the bracket has the touratech logo... Very confusing.
Also interested in any recommendations you might have for a larger or more wind-shielding option since this one is badly yellowed and does not help much with buffeting for my 6’ tall frame!

·
Super Moderator
641 Posts
Looks like you have a BMW part number on the windshield. I'd start there.

Looks to me like a Touratech replacement of the stock windshield bracket. If it fits the BMW part should be no worry. Off the BMW part you can see what options are for taller ones.

·
Registered
2 Posts
View attachment 28246

View attachment 28247

I picked up this ‘05 R1200GS used and am still discovering what’s factory optional vs what’s aftermarket.

Can y’all help me identify this windshield setup? It looks like BMW factory GS windshield, but the bracket has the touratech logo... Very confusing.
Also interested in any recommendations you might have for a larger or more wind-shielding option since this one is badly yellowed and does not help much with buffeting for my 6’ tall frame!
I've got a 2011 I just bought two months ago. It's got the same windshield and OEM bracket which I believe are factory but the Touratech part looks like it is bolted onto the BMW factory windshield mount. I only have the large silver cross bar and the pivoting silver section that anchors the bottom of the windshield. The Touratech part has a small bar at the top and a knob on each side that I do not have. Looks to me like the previous owner added something that mounts inside the windshield.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Agree with Edwards. The windshield is stock including the bracket and the (unidentified) Touratech device simply uses the OEM bracket as a mounting platform.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got this cheap deflector on Amazon and put 4,000 miles on it riding from Houston to Boise and back. Very pleased with it and if it goes out on me I'll just buy another at that price. Makes a huge difference in wind noise at the helmet.
Amazon

·
Registered
477 Posts
The windscreen is OEM for Hexhead GS's. The Touratech bracket is an additional support that does two things. If you add an aftermarket taller screen it will keep it front deflecting at speed. The second things they do is the rubber grommets dry rot and fall off or dirt get behind them and they scratch the windscreen at the two contact spots. I've bought two GS's once with a stock screen and another with a Cee Bailey that that had these braces on. Both screens have marks and both braces were removed and sold as they are not needed unless you got an excessively tall windscreen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts