R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!

I'm in urgent need of BMW engineer expertise! I adjusted my seat height on my new 2015 R1200 GSA and reinstalled it and then reinstalled my rear seat.....and now my key FOB won't come out of the seat locking mechanism leaving my bike completely unsecurable! It's like leaving the keys to my bike for anyone to steal! For some reason, the key is stuck and the locking mechanism won't re-center to allow me to take the key out!

I re-read the manual several times and scoured the internet for solutions to no avail! What is BMW's engineer solution to a poorly designed locking mechanism that won't release the key?

I need BMW's help since I cannot secure the bike (prevent it from being stolen because it's my keyless FOB) now!

Has anyone out there successfully resolved this issue without breaking something?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Possibly a good locksmith with their specialized tools would be able to probe the key slot..even with the key in the slot...had the reverse problem with my Volkswagen a few years ago...the spring loaded ignition cover in the key slot had slammed shut and would not open to let key in..I used a very fine paper clip to open the cover then jammed the key in..got to dealer and they replaced the lock cylinder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Same thing happened to me went to dealer,they had it out in minutes.
Can you ask them what they did? I spoke with Lonestar BWM (my dealer) and they directed me to BMW Motorrad USA....who then said they don't have anyone who knows how to fix this issue and told me to get in touch with my dealer!!!

I wish I had the contact email for a BMW engineer in Berlin so I could share my experience with them to help resolve any future problems for other new owners!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Key stuck

How he explained it to me was he went under seat to get to the release mechanism.They will have to go under the left side to get at the tab.Wd40 will do nothing to fix your problem.Ill try and attach a picture of the mechanism.Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Can you ask them what they did? I spoke with Lonestar BWM (my dealer) and they directed me to BMW Motorrad USA....who then said they don't have anyone who knows how to fix this issue and told me to get in touch with my dealer!!!
Your dealer sent you to BMWNA. Unbelievable! Guess you will getting a new bike from them if it can't be fixed.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Help!

I'm in urgent need of BMW engineer expertise! I adjusted my seat height on my new 2015 R1200 GSA and reinstalled it and then reinstalled my rear seat.....and now my key FOB won't come out of the seat locking mechanism leaving my bike completely unsecurable! It's like leaving the keys to my bike for anyone to steal! For some reason, the key is stuck and the locking mechanism won't re-center to allow me to take the key out!

I re-read the manual several times and scoured the internet for solutions to no avail! What is BMW's engineer solution to a poorly designed locking mechanism that won't release the key?

I need BMW's help since I cannot secure the bike (prevent it from being stolen because it's my keyless FOB) now!

Has anyone out there successfully resolved this issue without breaking something?

And . . . . . what happened? :confused:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Your dealer sent you to BMWNA. Unbelievable! Guess you will getting a new bike from them if it can't be fixed.
Lone Star was bought out by a big box conglomerate. It is now called BMW Motorcycles of Austin and much has changed. I have been in a couple of times in the last few weeks and noticed an almost complete change in staffing. They are back filling with staff from their Japanese big four location. In other words, they don't know squat about how to fix the problem.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can you update us on what happened after? Happened to me today after deregisteration the bike to export so couldn’t ride it. Shipped it with the key in 😰. Will have to figure it out at the port in Egypt.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Try this found with search function:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts