R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently begun to have a problem with the engine bogging down whenever I accelerate forcefully. This happens in any gear and when the engine cuts out, it loses power and almost feels like a cylinder is dropping out. If I accelerate very gently and shift early I have had the bike to 100kmh+ with no issues. Anything more than a quarter turn of the throttle and the engine misbehaves.

·
Super Moderator
1,012 Posts
I'd check for codes with GS911 or Motoscan first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have recently begun to have a problem with the engine bogging down whenever I accelerate forcefully. This happens in any gear and when the engine cuts out, it loses power and almost feels like a cylinder is dropping out. If I accelerate very gently and shift early I have had the bike to 100kmh+ with no issues. Anything more than a quarter turn of the throttle and the engine misbehaves.
I'd check for codes with GS911 or Motoscan first
no fault code in diagnos bro

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey! Don't now which model year you have but I had the EXACT same thing happen to me; in my instance, it was the fuel pump controller.
I have the 2009 GS and BMW had since upgraded that module; new #BMW part 16 14 8 523 262 and has different power connector locations and much better/beefier o-ring!
It wasn't cheap per se, around $200 but it's run like a dream since then. There was a work-around for it; should your pump fail and a cheap trouble shooting option: Fuel pump bypass
I purchased this first, as a worst case backup but using it, 100% confirmed my bike did have a faulty module, and ran perfectly with this plugged in. Then I purchased the newer module and fixed my issue.
If you do try the bypass; I used the one with the SAE battery lead. Using the BMW powerlet I believe it pulls too many amps and that'll cause problems. Bear in mind, it's hot, so DON'T leave it plugged in for more than a few minutes if not riding. Fast way to drain your battery.
Good luck!

Here's a pic of my fried module:cautious: IMG_4369.JPG

·
Registered
7 Posts
Before you move to more advanced troubleshooting, have you checked the simple stuff - like really dirty throttle bodies?

These were mine before cleaning:

and after:

Doing this fixed the problem for me. But then again, I did have errors when I scanned as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts