R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, now I have your attention . . haha . but a man's gotta do what a mans gotta do.

My real question: Is there a well regarded video site that shows how to do typical maintenance and repairs? Other than Youtube? I have a 2005 1200gs and I can't find ANYWHERE here in SW PA that works on Beemers. Guess I gotta learn how to do a few things myself which honestly scares me. I am a visual learner though so videos help me.

Anyways, thanks and I hope everyone is safe/healthy and enjoying the decreased traffic out on the roads.

·
Registered
420 Posts
What are you looking to have done? I'm in Chambersburg and might be able to help you out. I am not a business just a fellow who enjoys working on R1200GS's.

What are you looking to have done? When are you looking to have work/service done?

Oil/filter
Transmission oil
Rear drive oil
Air filter
Check/set valves
Flush and bleed servo brakes
Pull swingarm to check and lube pivot bearings also inspect and lube driveline splines and check u-joints
Tires
Replace rubber boots on swingarm
Alternator belt
Throttle body sync
Brake pads

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are you looking to have done? I'm in Chambersburg and might be able to help you out. I am not a business just a fellow who enjoys working on R1200GS's.

What are you looking to have done? When are you looking to have work/service done?

Oil/filter
Transmission oil
Rear drive oil
Air filter
Check/set valves
Flush and bleed servo brakes
Pull swingarm to check and lube pivot bearings also inspect and lube driveline splines and check u-joints
Tires
Replace rubber boots on swingarm
Alternator belt
Throttle body sync
Brake pads
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR RESPONSE! I had two roommates at IUP that were from Chambersburg and they were so fun and I spent some fun weekends in your neck of the woods. Anyways, I bought the bike from Kissell Moto (Altoona,PA) and I in the process of gathering all the information I can get including the recalls performed, services done, etc. I attached a PDF of what services were documented in chicken scratch by the prior owner. If you have a moment, a quick glance may show what I need or should get done soon. Any help is appreciated and I that is awesome that you like working on the gs. It scares the HE double hockey sticks out of me doing anything with a tool. Anyways thanks again and hopefully I am set for a while and just a meetup ride would be cool. South of you is some nice riding.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should be able to find what you are looking for here. Great guy, member of many forums. Check him out on the Adventure Rider Forum. He holds a "tech day" every year.

You can find your bike listed on the front page and follow the links.
NICE! Thanks I will check that out. Much appreciated. Thanks for your time!!!

·
Registered
420 Posts
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR RESPONSE! I had two roommates at IUP that were from Chambersburg and they were so fun and I spent some fun weekends in your neck of the woods. Anyways, I bought the bike from Kissell Moto (Altoona,PA) and I in the process of gathering all the information I can get including the recalls performed, services done, etc. I attached a PDF of what services were documented in chicken scratch by the prior owner. If you have a moment, a quick glance may show what I need or should get done soon. Any help is appreciated and I that is awesome that you like working on the gs. It scares the HE double hockey sticks out of me doing anything with a tool. Anyways thanks again and hopefully I am set for a while and just a meetup ride would be cool. South of you is some nice riding.
Two things jump out.

I see a service where it shows where the air filter was oil. If you have a gauze type filter in the bike remove it throw it away and replace with a Mahle LX 984/2 or OEM paper filter. Gauze filter do not filter very well.

I do not see any servo/ABS brake servicing. This is something that should be done religiously every 2 years or 10,000 miles at a minimum. If the servo unit fails its $3,000 from BMW for the parts. Rebuilds of the ABSii on the 04 to 06 is highly unlikely even from laces like Module Master. They have the knowledge but cannot from what I am told reliably source replacement parts. 2007+ non-servo ABS can be rebuilt but that a different kettle of fish

I bought a 2005 R1200GS two (2) weeks ago and it had the dreaded blinking ABS and hazard light. I know that going in so my offer was substantially less than the asking price. Got it home flushed the brakes and the fronts worked but the rear servo was dead.

Here is the brake fluid I pulled from the servo unit. No wonder it was DOA

SB4.jpg

So the next step was to remove abandon and bypass the ABSii

SB5.jpg

There are several tutorials that show reconfiguring the brake likes and adapter blocks but I did not like the bending and twisting the stock brake lines so I made jumpers.

Stock ridged brake lines to and from the servo unit

F4.jpg

Harbor Freight bubble flare too and a section of 3/16 brake line from NAPA

F1.jpg

Jumper all made up and read to mount back in original position to accept OEM brake lines

F2.jpg

Jumper and brake lines all connected. Brakes bled and working great.

F3.jpg

Onto the rear jumper.

F6.jpg

Rear jumper fitted, brakes bled and like the fronts working great.

F7.jpg

·
Super Moderator
584 Posts
@PerazziMx14 hit the two things I saw too. Ditch the air filter and go with a dry one. Then get to flushing brakes. YouTube or JVB vids can help.

Also check your swingarm boots and replace if cracked. Probably want to pull the swingarm to lube/replace the tapered bearings in the swingarm. Easy job.

Beemerboneyard.com is your friend.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome thanks for the heads up. One of the great mods Krons and a few others mentioned that problem before I bought it and the dealer said it was performed recently by the previous owner. So, were the Flange and Fuel Pump recalls. Question: the owner had the F and R brakes bled and pads replaced. He wrote in the log "Bled F/R brakes @ servo". That was at 20,000 miles and there is 37,000 on it now. So, I will get on that and make sure that is on the top of the to-do list soon. And I looked closer at his log and it says MAHLE 984/2? air filter and it was just installed about 5,000 miles ago. So, I will order a new one through Amazon if that is the correct one. Thanks for the response and I am not a big fan of blinking lights so I will just put some duct tape over the ABS and hazard light so I don't obsess over it. Just kidding. Well maybe.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@PerazziMx14 hit the two things I saw too. Ditch the air filter and go with a dry one. Then get to flushing brakes. YouTube or JVB vids can help.

Also check your swingarm boots and replace if cracked. Probably want to pull the swingarm to lube/replace the tapered bearings in the swingarm. Easy job.

Beemerboneyard.com is your friend.
Bookmarked the site and I will try to figure out the swingarm lube/replace job. And the brake flushing I will look into it. Probably something I have to have someone else perform. I can't even do the brake flushing on my Honda Blackbird myself and it is supposedly not that difficult.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Awesome thanks for the heads up. One of the great mods Krons and a few others mentioned that problem before I bought it and the dealer said it was performed recently by the previous owner. So, were the Flange and Fuel Pump recalls. Question: the owner had the F and R brakes bled and pads replaced. He wrote in the log "Bled F/R brakes @ servo". That was at 20,000 miles and there is 37,000 on it now. So, I will get on that and make sure that is on the top of the to-do list soon. And I looked closer at his log and it says MAHLE 984/2? air filter and it was just installed about 5,000 miles ago. So, I will order a new one through Amazon if that is the correct one. Thanks for the response and I am not a big fan of blinking lights so I will just put some duct tape over the ABS and hazard light so I don't obsess over it. Just kidding. Well maybe.
The blinking ABS/Hazard light are not service reminder lights so there is a fault in the ABS/Servo unit. Either way its not the best news. A flush and bleeding of the servo/ABS system may correct the issue but do not be surprised if it doesn't. If it doesn't then you have some choices to make.

1. Get the brakes flushed and see if that makes and improvement. BMW shop is about $300 for this service and hope this works as its best case scenario.

2. Ride the bike as is until the servo unit totally fails. When it does you'll only have residual braking(about a 80% decrease vs normal braking power)

3. If you are not comfortable with the potential of a failed servo happening at any time either source a good used servo unit (these are as rare a rocking horse poop) one or spend $3,000on a new unit.

4. Do the servo-ectomy and go wit h traditional non-ABS brakes

5. Sell the bike.

Before I bought even an air filter or anything else I'd concentrate on the servo/ABS unit getting it resolved.

And yes the air filter is a 984/2 I fat fingered the keyboard.

Good luck

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The blinking ABS/Hazard light are not service reminder lights so there is a fault in the ABS/Servo unit. Either way its not the best news. A flush and bleeding of the servo/ABS system may correct the issue but do not be surprised if it doesn't. If it doesn't then you have some choices to make.

1. Get the brakes flushed and see if that makes and improvement. BMW shop is about $300 for this service and hope this works as its best case scenario.

2. Ride the bike as is until the servo unit totally fails. When it does you'll only have residual braking(about a 80% decrease vs normal braking power)

3. If you are not comfortable with the potential of a failed servo happening at any time either source a good used servo unit (these are as rare a rocking horse poop) one or spend $3,000on a new unit.

4. Do the servo-ectomy and go wit h traditional non-ABS brakes

5. Sell the bike.

Before I bought even an air filter or anything else I'd concentrate on the servo/ABS unit getting it resolved.

Good luck
Cool. I am looking up the DVD's right now (plus smoking ribs) and will order the one for my bike. Videos are the only way I will be able to do it myself. I am a visual learner/follower and written instructions throw me off. Again, you have been really helpful and I REALLY APPRECIATE IT. I had a 99 GS when I lived in Arizona and for that year it was the neutral light switch that made me finally give up on it. So, now I know what is the achillees heeI for the 05 GS. My 99 was easy to fix! I would order the parts for the bike, take a 12 pack along with good take out food, and have my buddies do the service. Easy peasy! Lol. I always wanted to learn though. Ok, take care, stay safe/healthy and enjoy not having to spend weekends cutting the damn grass instead of riding. Lol.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am a relatively new GS owner ('18 bought late late '19).

Perhaps redundant, but hopefully some positive reinforcement, I bought the JVB video and supplemented it with a Haynes Manual. I have also gained a lot from what the knowledgeable/generous people on this forum have put forward- learning a lot.

Lastly, and as Krons mentioned, I have found Beemerboneyard to be pretty good as a resource. Always quick delivery and reasonable.

Kissel just moved to Tyrone, PA I think? Only reason I know is that I was born there and saw they have a Beemer shop there now.

Anyways, happy and healthy riding everyone.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am a relatively new GS owner ('18 bought late late '19).

Perhaps redundant, but hopefully some positive reinforcement, I bought the JVB video and supplemented it with a Haynes Manual. I have also gained a lot from what the knowledgeable/generous people on this forum have put forward- learning a lot.

Lastly, and as Krons mentioned, I have found Beemerboneyard to be pretty good as a resource. Always quick delivery and reasonable.

Kissel just moved to Tyrone, PA I think? Only reason I know is that I was born there and saw they have a Beemer shop there now.

Anyways, happy and healthy riding everyone.
Yea that is where i got the bike. Didn't know they moved from somewhere else. My aunt/uncle live in Clearfield so when i got the scenic route there i go past Toona. As you probably saw from the past posts, I am leaning towards renting a trailer and getting the brakes/servo done as soon as they can get me in. (Perazz convinced me of the importance and I will do that ASAP) Uhaul has nice trailers with chalks for rent that are only like 15 bucks a day.
AND YES, I AM NOTICING QUICKLY how nice and helpful people are on this forum. It's refreshing. I just found a Haynes on EBAY about an hour ago and will order the DVD as well. The prior owner spent a good bit of money on accessories the bike and I am just finding out some of the upgrades. (Wilbers F/R adj shocks, Sargent Saddle, PIAA's, C Bailey Screen, Reemus Exhaust, Hepco Topcase just to name a few) When I bought the bike, the prior two people that put deposits on it backed out because they didn't realize how tall the bike is!)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Cool. Sounds like a plan.

Kissel were in State College before.

When I found myself with more time and less money, due to COVID, I thought I would get into doing my own maintenance. Then I revisited the 600 mile-break in service bill (pretty basic) and that confirmed my decision!

Sorry, I can't help you on the servo front, but PerazziMx14 and Krons seem to be all over it.

Hope it all works out.

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
642 Posts
Ok, now I have your attention . . haha . but a man's gotta do what a mans gotta do.

My real question: Is there a well regarded video site that shows how to do typical maintenance and repairs? Other than Youtube? I have a 2005 1200gs and I can't find ANYWHERE here in SW PA that works on Beemers. Guess I gotta learn how to do a few things myself which honestly scares me. I am a visual learner though so videos help me.

Anyways, thanks and I hope everyone is safe/healthy and enjoying the decreased traffic out on the roads.
My advice is forget the top case. Better off with soft or hard side cases. Soft are much cheaper than hard panniers.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The seat has 2 setting but its also possible the previous owner put GSA length socks on the bike. While they are not much longer they make a pretty good difference.

I'd call Kissels to make an appointment and get a feel for the cost. I'd also encourage you to get a servo funnel from Beemer Boneyard, a 7mm combo wrench, sharpie marker, few feet of 1/4 ID poly tubing and a quart of DOT4 and give the servo bleed a shot. Worst thing that can happen is you get hemmed up and have to abort the attempt. Then button things up and take it to the dealership.

I printed a step x step how too off another site then put it in protective plastic covers and into a 3 ring binder for a quick reference. Follow the bouncing ball and in short order its all over.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cool. Sounds like a plan.

Kissel were in State College before.

When I found myself with more time and less money, due to COVID, I thought I would get into doing my own maintenance. Then I revisited the 600 mile-break in service bill (pretty basic) and that confirmed my decision!

Sorry, I can't help you on the servo front, but PerazziMx14 and Krons seem to be all over it.

Hope it all works out.
Much appreciated!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My advice is forget the top case. Better off with soft or hard side cases. Soft are much cheaper than hard panniers.
It has the Vario Side Cases as well as the top case. Didn't mention that. I am a packrat and do overnight camping trips when on bike rides often. (I also have a CBR1100xx Super Blackbird with Givi cases) Heck, I even take a charcoal grill with me along with all the other necessary camping items. lol. I appreciate the advice though because yeah those bags can really be expensive! Take care

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The seat has 2 setting but its also possible the previous owner put GSA length socks on the bike. While they are not much longer they make a pretty good difference.

I'd call Kissels to make an appointment and get a feel for the cost. I'd also encourage you to get a servo funnel from Beemer Boneyard, a 7mm combo wrench, sharpie marker, few feet of 1/4 ID poly tubing and a quart of DOT4 and give the servo bleed a shot. Worst thing that can happen is you get hemmed up and have to abort the attempt. Then button things up and take it to the dealership.

I printed a step x step how too off another site then put it in protective plastic covers and into a 3 ring binder for a quick reference. Follow the bouncing ball and in short order its all over.
You got a good point there! And I spent the other day buying many of the tools that were listed as important for my bike. I couldn't justify buying a complete kit that was a couple hundred dollars and pieced together most of it for a lot cheaper (except tubing, and the master cyclinder cap removal tool which I will order on Boneyard (glad you reminded me) Got the t40, 7/8mm wrench/sockets, filler funnel, 6mm allen, and a hardly used old plastic bottle)
May as well give it a try and learn something in the process. And again if you didn't get the point, THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME! I will call Kissell for a price, however I would much rather pay you for doing the service and teaching me a thing or two. I will match Kissells price plus a nice tip for taking the time to teach a newbie. Just a thought. No worries if your not comfortable doing something like that.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts