R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... after a flat on my front Bridgestone Battlax A41 rendered it useless, I decided to spring for new Pirelli Scorpion Rally STRs (hated the A41s anyway). Took off the wheels and off I went to the same guy who's always done my tire changes (including many changes on my RR's forged wheels for countless changes from slicks to street without incident).

I warned him about the TPMS. Many times. End result: Badly scratched rear (see pics) and TPMS blown to pieces (pic attached for those interested in seeing the guts). Dang.

Took the rims to the local dealer. Ordered a new TPMS, which the tire changer guy will pay for. Took the wheels to a recommended painter for touch-up. No go, he said. Since these are powder-coated wheels, he said, he would need to re-do the entire rim. Which would mean REMOVING all the spokes and later re-attaching them.

At that point, I took the wheels back. No-one here in Puerto Rico has any experience re-spoking the BMW wheels, and I feel nervous that they might screw this up.

SO... Getting to the question to all you experts out there:

Is this an easy job anyone could do, and I'm just being overly nervous?

Bonus round: are these wheels really powder-coated, or is this just BS from the repair guy? Any other way to touch them up?

Would rather live with those hideous scratches than set up an opportunity for some hack to really mess up my wheels when re-spoking them.

Thanks in advance for any useful advice!

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ordered. Thank you! At least that will help me "unsee" the damage a bit.

Still pending are comments on the re-spoking degree of risk/difficulty. Really curious about that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you

Thank you all for the comments and good advice.
Have decided to leave them as is with some little home made touch up and have saved Woodys for when they really get hurt.
BTW the Pirelli Rally STRs are great on pavement twisty roads. Pending dirt evaluation.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That's a major bummer on a new bike. It looks like you not only received slipshod service from your tire changer, but likely bad advice from the paint shop as well.

Powder coated wheels (or powder coated anything) can be touched up with paint - lots of online articles and YouTube videos on how to do so properly.

However, the damage depicted in your photos, looks much more common with paint than powder coat - which tends to chip distinctly and completely.

I have the same wheels on my R1250GS HP and would be surprised (and pissed) to discover that they're powder coated.

As I'm sure you and everyone reading this knows, a big advantage of spoked wheels is that they can flex instead of bend. So while powder coating may be okay for rigid alloy wheels, it would not be a good choice for aluminum rims. There's also the risk of the powder coating curing process changing the molecular structure of the alloy rim which could lead to a catastrophic failure...

If your tire changer wants to step up his game, for $15.00 these are pretty cheap insurance and work great: www.motionpro.com/product/08-0546

Glad to hear the new shoes are at least an improvement.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
So... after a flat on my front Bridgestone Battlax A41 rendered it useless, I decided to spring for new Pirelli Scorpion Rally STRs (hated the A41s anyway). Took off the wheels and off I went to the same guy who's always done my tire changes (including many changes on my RR's forged wheels for countless changes from slicks to street without incident).

I warned him about the TPMS. Many times. End result: Badly scratched rear (see pics) and TPMS blown to pieces (pic attached for those interested in seeing the guts). Dang.

Took the rims to the local dealer. Ordered a new TPMS, which the tire changer guy will pay for. Took the wheels to a recommended painter for touch-up. No go, he said. Since these are powder-coated wheels, he said, he would need to re-do the entire rim. Which would mean REMOVING all the spokes and later re-attaching them.

At that point, I took the wheels back. No-one here in Puerto Rico has any experience re-spoking the BMW wheels, and I feel nervous that they might screw this up.

SO... Getting to the question to all you experts out there:

Is this an easy job anyone could do, and I'm just being overly nervous?

Bonus round: are these wheels really powder-coated, or is this just BS from the repair guy? Any other way to touch them up?

Would rather live with those hideous scratches than set up an opportunity for some hack to really mess up my wheels when re-spoking them.

Thanks in advance for any useful advice!
Local BMW Service manager told they will not touch them as they have never been able to successfully work on the wire spoked rims. WTF And says there is no one in the city i live in who can.
These wheels are originally built up in a jig but i do not see it impossible to rebuild or re-true for someone who knows what they are doing.
Due to the spoke layout with the spoke crossing over being fixed on opposite sides, my take on it is to remove lateral run-out you need to think in reverse when adjusting spoke tension.
Adjusting roundness would still be the same as with normal spoked wheels.
I did some mild adjusting to a 2017 GS wheel and improved it but was not game to chase it too far unless i stuffed it up proper.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts