R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Survivor
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hex has told venders not to ship GEN 2 ezCANs in anticipation of the GEN 3 being available to ship in the next few weeks. Good news; judging from the complaints about failures on forums, the GEN 2 units are failing at a unacceptable rate. This info comes from The BeemerShop.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hex has told venders not to ship GEN 2 ezCANs in anticipation of the GEN 3 being available to ship in the next few weeks. Good news; judging from the complaints about failures on forums, the GEN 2 units are failing at a unacceptable rate. This info comes from The BeemerShop.
Thanks for this - I was just contemplating pulling the trigger on one and saw this. I’ll wait until the dust settles.

·
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"
169 Posts

Check this out if you are tired of the EZCan failure rate.

·
Survivor
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a link. Tap the red print at the top.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The Gen 2 are still offered for sale at Revzilla, Beemershop, etc. are you sure this information is correct regarding Gen 2 Vs Gen 3?

·
Survivor
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BeemerShop is not still shipping GEN 2s according to their shipping guy that I spoke to. I had a GEN 2 on order and he gave me the option of a refund or taking a GEN 3 when they get them. I opted to wait for the GEN 3.

I do not know what other venders are doing. Perhaps their websites are not updated, maybe they didn’t get the word or the fellow at the BeemerShop was hallucinating.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also have been contacted from BeemerShop to wait or cancel or wait for Gen 3 I also opted to wait. Hats off to BeemerShop for doing this I would have been bummed out if I just received a Gen 2 and then a Gen 3 started shipping right after I installed the 2.

·
Registered
12 Posts
BeemerShop is not still shipping GEN 2s according to their shipping guy that I spoke to. I had a GEN 2 on order and he gave me the option of a refund or taking a GEN 3 when they get them. I opted to wait for the GEN 3.

I do not know what other venders are doing. Perhaps their websites are not updated, maybe they didn’t get the word or the fellow at the BeemerShop was hallucinating.
I'm also waiting for the GEN 3 from the Beemer shop. Hopefully shipping by next week, I have already installed auxiliary lights and eager to connect them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What are the symptoms relating to EzCan 2 failures? I fitted one to my new 1250GS six months ago. A ridding buddy said he noticed one of my spotlights was flickering while riding the other day but I've not been able to track down any faults so far

·
Survivor
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In my case it was my and Spousal Unit’s GEN 1s that failed. Both were over three years old and in both cases it started with erratic behavior of the auxiliary lites. SU’s went last summer and it was replaced by a GEN 2 that is doing okay so far. Mine went completely tits up recently. A friend, who posts here occasionally, is on his fourth ezCAN and third GEN 2.

·
Registered
13 Posts
In my case it was my and Spousal Unit’s GEN 1s that failed. Both were over three years old and in both cases it started with erratic behavior of the auxiliary lites. SU’s went last summer and it was replaced by a GEN 2 that is doing okay so far. Mine went completely tits up recently. A friend, who posts here occasionally, is on his fourth ezCAN and third GEN 2.
Thanks, yes my 1st gen on my previous bike went mad too, it was 3 years old and out of warranty. When I bought my new 1250GS i went for the gen 2 so lets see if it lasts, I won't be too pleased if it fails out of warranty but given they seem to be flakey perhaps they'd do the right thing and replace it. Time will tell.

·
Registered
992 Posts
My first unit was a gen 1 Hex....failed after 2 years. Since i was in India and they didnt have a local dealer at that time I picked another from the USA which was a Gen 2. That worked ok for a year and then suddenly it would shut down completely.
I contacted Hex and they worked with me to send me a replacement even though I had not picked it from an Indian dealer. The support was phenomenal and i had a new unit within a few days.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was curious about Gen 3, so I called Twisted Throttle today and asked about an ETA. I was told there were no plans until the end of the year, and that it was only in the development stage. I voiced my my surprise given the conversation above, and the guy was surprised, himself, and said he thought they'd only had 3 returns of the units, that they had a 5 year warranty, blah, blah. Well, Hex says it's got a 2 year warranty, but what's a few years here or there? Also that any bad units returned were typically upgraded to the current unit. I then called Cyclops, as they're nearby and in the same time zone, and though the guy was quite personable, he seemed new to Hex, and didn't know much. While I considered buying a 2 and seeing what happens, I guess I'll see what comes down in terms of the next generation. Gotta say this doesn't impress me so much with the Hex distributors, and maybe BeemerShop are the people to deal with.

·
Survivor
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BeemerShop is a first rate organization. They are exceptionally well versed in the Hex Code products. I had a GS911 fail just out of warranty and Ted Porter went to bat for me with Hex and convinced them to replace my unit. Twice I’ve sent emails with questions about suspension issues. Both times I got a call from Ted and we spoke for 15-20 minutes. Revzilla is a good company and I use them often, but it is hard for them to be as knowledgeable about the many things they sell as the BeemerShop is about their products.

·
Registered
12 Posts
BeemerShop is a first rate organization. They are exceptionally well versed in the Hex Code products. I had a GS911 fail just out of warranty and Ted Porter went to bat for me with Hex and convinced them to replace my unit. Twice I’ve sent emails with questions about suspension issues. Both times I got a call from Ted and we spoke for 15-20 minutes. Revzilla is a good company and I use them often, but it is hard for them to be as knowledgeable about the many things they sell as the BeemerShop is about their products.
Good to know that about BeemerShop. These days, lots of staff are enthusiastic kids with no sales training or breadth of knowledge about product, and it's good to know of a place where I can get some good salespeople.

·
Registered
13 Posts
In my case, I keep having to reset it with a PC. It goes completely dead, and I have to hook up the PC again and again. The main reason I have it is for the Wunderwheel/heated jacket integration, and that alone makes it worth putting up with any hassles, though I have some lighting circuites, too. That heated garment circuit still works (keeps me happy) but some of the lighting circuits don't, and the device is less than 9 months old. As long as the jacket works I'm good, but a little annoying that the device is prone to difficulties. But still better than putting a separate heat controller on. I really like controlling the heat with the Wunderwheel. I have a pilot light in the jacket circuit that allows me to judge heating levels well.
yes same here, if I connected my laptop it would work fine afterwards for a short time, it was if it wasn't sensing getting power from the battery...an yep checked all wiring

·
Survivor
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Latest from The BeemerShop. The GEN 3 ezCANs have been shipped to The BeemerShop and are expected to arrive any day.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts