R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2009 R1200 GSA
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased my first BMW. It’s a 2009 R1200 GSA. My previous riding experience is mostly on a Yamaha VStar 1100 ( very low sitting cruiser). Just pushing the GSA around in the driveway is quite a bit more tricky than what I’m used to. I’m flat toed when sitting on the bike. Not sure if I should save up to buy an after market low seat, but I’m going to try riding with the original seat for a while before deciding. I’m also interested in teaching myself ( with the help of YouTube and Forums) how to perform some maintenance on the bike. I’ll start with what I think are basic stuff like oil changes and tire changes and maybe work my way to valve clearance. Hi

·
Registered
2008 BMW R1200GS
5 Posts
Welcome! Similar story to my own. Most of my riding previous to the venerable GS was a Honda Shadow Sabre 1100. The higher stance of the GS certainly felt funny for about the first week, but is very comfortable and feels natural to me now. I do have a low seat, which probably helps my 5’7” (30” inseam) stance, but I think you’re on the right track in saying that you’ll ride it as is for a while before making any alterations. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey JD. Welcome to the forum. The seat has a low setting position that puts in about an inch lower. Have you checked that the seat is set in that position? As for maintenance, one of the thing I would check is the spline lube where it connects close to the rear wheel. Lots of videos and easy to do. Enjoy the bike.

·
Registered
2009 R1200 GSA
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey JD. Welcome to the forum. The seat has a low setting position that puts in about an inch lower. Have you checked that the seat is set in that position? As for maintenance, one of the thing I would check is the spline lube where it connects close to the rear wheel. Lots of videos and easy to do. Enjoy the bike.
Thanks, I’ll plan on looking into the spline lube. The seat is already at the low setting, I’ll see how it goes.

·
Registered
2009 R1200 GSA
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I’m looking forward to enjoying the bike.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Welcome, the adventure riding position is a lot different than a cruiser. I had dirt bikes long before I got a street bike. The riding position seemed natural to me, then I got a sport bike for the street. It felt weird and I never was pleased with the ergonomics. A few bikes later I got my GS, just love it. After nearly 15 years I still do, I’ve never had a motorcycle this long and have no plans on selling! It will take some getting used to and I hope you come to like yours as much. I didn’t like the stock seat so I tried a saddle-man, sergeant and found the one for me is a RDL.

·
Registered
2009 R1200 GSA
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome, the adventure riding position is a lot different than a cruiser. I had dirt bikes long before I got a street bike. The riding position seemed natural to me, then I got a sport bike for the street. It felt weird and I never was pleased with the ergonomics. A few bikes later I got my GS, just love it. After nearly 15 years I still do, I’ve never had a motorcycle this long and have no plans on selling! It will take some getting used to and I hope you come to like yours as much. I didn’t like the stock seat so I tried a saddle-man, sergeant and found the one for me is a RDL.
Thanks. It’s only been a few days but so far so great.

·
Registered
2009 R1200 GSA
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome! Similar story to my own. Most of my riding previous to the venerable GS was a Honda Shadow Sabre 1100. The higher stance of the GS certainly felt funny for about the first week, but is very comfortable and feels natural to me now. I do have a low seat, which probably helps my 5’7” (30” inseam) stance, but I think you’re on the right track in saying that you’ll ride it as is for a while before making any alterations. Enjoy it!
We are the same height so I will likely try a low seat at some point.

·
Registered
297 Posts
When I bought my 2009GS a few years ago I put a wanted ad on ADVRider for a factory low seat. I quickly found one (make sure it’s offered by a reputable forum member with many previous posts!) and it’s been great. I am a couple of inches shorter than you but also mine is the GS not GSA.

·
Registered
2009 R1200 GSA
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I bought my 2009GS a few years ago I put a wanted ad on ADVRider for a factory low seat. I quickly found one (make sure it’s offered by a reputable forum member with many previous posts!) and it’s been great. I am a couple of inches shorter than you but also mine is the GS not GSA.
Thanks for the suggestion, great idea!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Welcome from New Brunswick. I have a Sargent Low seat for a 2019 GS that I never really used. Let me know if it's of interest to you. Good luck with the new ride, you'll Love it!!!

Reactions: JD-Hache
1 - 12 of 12 Posts